How accurate are sexed chicks?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see red flags, it might not even be the same place. did you check Facebook or Craigslist for chicks?
I checked craigslist (no Facebook for me), but they were all just listed as barnyard mix unsexed or were a hefty amount of money! I was going to wait until spring next year, but I found that farm on a whim & figured it was a sign.

Ooo, they were here last year looking for pictures of other people's chickens for their product book, which is shady in my opinion. But looks can be deceiving.
Oh I remember that.

How old are the chicks you're getting? I wouldn't personally trust any breeder to guarantee day olds unless they're autosexing

I am picking up at Catch A Torii Farms, which runs The Poultry Hatchery in NY.
Catch A Torii is a hatchery that offers sexed chicks. That means they are vent sexing. That's where a highly trained person looks into the vent of newly hatched chick to try to determine the sex of the chick. It's not an easy thing to do, sometimes the difference in by versus girl isn't that clear. To make it worse they are often trying to get through thousands of chicks in a day, they don't have much time between hatch and mailing them out.

I don't know how highly trained their vent sexer is or how many chicks they are doing at a time. Most major hatcheries give a 90% guarantee on the sex of their chicks but I'm not sure that is a major hatchery. You can check into their guarantees, often it is a credit if you buy more chicks but some give different guarantees.

Usually it is easier to say that is definitely a boy than it is to be sure if it is a girl. The bump may not be that big on a boy. That means if you buy sexed boys you will probably get all boys but if you buy sexed girls a boy could be mixed in with them.

The bottom line is that you can't be sure. With 15 girls there is a pretty good chance you will get at least one boy. It could easily be more. Or you may be lucky and just get girls.

Catch A Torii is a hatchery that offers sexed chicks. That means they are vent sexing. That's where a highly trained person looks into the vent of newly hatched chick to try to determine the sex of the chick. It's not an easy thing to do, sometimes the difference in by versus girl isn't that clear. To make it worse they are often trying to get through thousands of chicks in a day, they don't have much time between hatch and mailing them out.

I don't know how highly trained their vent sexer is or how many chicks they are doing at a time. Most major hatcheries give a 90% guarantee on the sex of their chicks but I'm not sure that is a major hatchery. You can check into their guarantees, often it is a credit if you buy more chicks but some give different guarantees.

Usually it is easier to say that is definitely a boy than it is to be sure if it is a girl. The bump may not be that big on a boy. That means if you buy sexed boys you will probably get all boys but if you buy sexed girls a boy could be mixed in with them.

The bottom line is that you can't be sure. With 15 girls there is a pretty good chance you will get at least one boy. It could easily be more. Or you may be lucky and just get girls.
Thank you for that detailed explanation! Makes sense.

Found my old post, figured I’d update! We got our chicks, ALL WERE PULLETS! Catch-a-torri farm was wonderful. The owner gets super busy and sometimes took a couple of texts to get a hold of, but he was awesome and helpful and talked to us for awhile at pickup. I ended up with a sapphire gem & 2 production reds instead of my Orpington (texted the change late so went with the extra hatched chicks instead). All chicks were healthy and are friendly!

Back
Top Bottom