How "active" should they be???

rhlowe

Hatching
6 Years
I have had four chicks (2 Ameraucanas, 1 RIR and 1 Buff Orpington) for a little over a week...they are about 3 weeks old now. Today I got 2 Barred Rocks...and the feed store told me "I think they're about 2 weeks old" They're about half the size of my original four. I have a large brood box (about the size of an infant "pack and play") and the light is positioned in the middle. The 2 Bar-Rocks seem be be integrating fine...there's some small "pecking" (mostly by the RIR and the Orp) but apparently it isn't TOO rough because they act like they don't even feel it. My concern is that although both of the new chicks have found the feeder...are eating and (most of the time) moving around the box....one of them seems "lazy". She likes to just lie in the pine shavings. If you "tap" the top of the screen...she moves....if you put your hand into the box she gets up and runs around....and "cheeps" away. I'm new to this so just wanted to know...IS there such a thing as a "lazy chicken"? ;) I've noticed no diarrhea, no irregularities....she's just not a big "mover and shaker. I remember my Orp...when I first got them...would scare me to DEATH at the way she'd lie in the box and "sleep"...but now that she's gotten older she's just fine (still lays that way btw and it STILL scares me to death! LOL) One of the Ameraucanas seems fine with letting the little ones "cuddle" underneath her sometimes....I guess I'm just going through the "anxieties" again...just like I did 10 days ago when I got the original four.

Congrats on the new chicks. Just keep a eye on them but, most likely they are tired from their car ride and will be acting normal soon. Do you add apple cider vinegar to their water? It is good for them.

1 1/2 Tablespoons would be enough for a quart container. These recommendations of apple cider vinegar are for the raw unpasturized vinegar. Or to your local feed store and get a package of electrolytes & vitamins supplement to put in water.

Back
Top Bottom