How am I supposed to keep my roo from scratching its neck wound?

RedPyleLady

In the Brooder
8 Years
7 Years
Jan 24, 2012
I have a Red Pyle bantam and one of the bigger chickens (maybe another pyle idk) got ahold of his neck and made a gnarly wound. He acts healthy and its scabbing over but he keep scratching it back open and I cant see it healing with him clawing it to death. I tried to put a bandage over it but with the flap of skin that was torn off the bandage wouldnt stay where it needed to. Any suggestions is there anything I can do that will keep him from scratching?

Probably will sound silly but I did this for a severely injured kitten that came in to our clinic years ago...I made him a "sweater" of sorts out of a sock.
Cut holes for his wings and legs and slip the rest over him. It should protect the wound and you could also put the bandage under that so he can't get to it. If that isn't possible. Try using Vetrap in a figure 8 pattern wrapping it over a telfa pad or gauze with antibiotic ointment on it. Just go around/under wings and make sure it's not too tight.
I've also seen on here where people use bandage with duct tape over that til the wound heals. I've not done it though.

Good luck and hope he heals up soon!

thankyou very much! its sounds like a good idea ill talk 2 my dad and se if he can help me with it :)

we werent able to fit a sock on him or a bandage because he fought it like crazy BUT we were able to trim away the flap of skin that was hanging. Thank God it didnt hurt him at all he didnt even flinch. So becuz of your suggestion we went down to the basment and may some headway on the situation :)

Back
Top Bottom