HOW and When DO YOU INTRODUCE YOUR baby CHICKS TO THE FLOCK...........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickgirl8313, Sep 6, 2011.

1. chickgirl8313

chickgirl8313 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    [​IMG] I have a mother still sitting nest of 6 eggs and its been over a week since one has hatched ... i do not know if i should remove them and put them all with the regular flock.....and if i do how did you do it .. i dont want to hurt the babies moving them .. thanks [​IMG] babies are a week old .. i have 6 girls 1 roo........

2. chickgirl8313

Aug 30, 2010
    I guess i should be more informative.. the sitter is a raised from egg 1 1.5 year old great mother .. she was able to breed 2 babies.. she is in the garage in a huge bin with her nest her babies and food and water she jumps out to poo daily ... she still has 6 eggs under her and i do not know if they will hatch for i do not hear chirps or what not but they were not layed at same time this was natural and we got a few hitchikers [​IMG] but anywho she has now hatched 5 2 lived and the rest it has been a week since anything but she doesnt seem to want to leave the nest......I also have another new sitter in the coop where the other 5 girls all owned over a year very well chickens but the rooster that is new and was aggresive untill he got his leg caught a week ago...The new babies are 1 week old and should i introduce them to flock or wait .. thank you so much for help ......

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i would wait until the hatched get fullly feathered.
    then at night just put them with mom in coop.

4. chickgirl8313

Aug 30, 2010
    That sounds like a good idea .. i dont know what im gonna do when the new ones hatch in 2 weeks ....wonder if i can put them all together under one momma... interesting lol

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Yeah I don't see why not they won't be to far off from age. If she's a good mom she should take them under her wing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by