How are cochin roosters?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I think one of my cochins is a cockerel. We've already given away a boy from our first group of leghorns. I would LOVE to have a rooster, especially a handsome partridge cochin. Our neighbors don't even know we have chickens so.... I mean there's dogs barking(even mine) through out the day. So will a little crowing hurt? There are people near us with a pig! I think caponzing is out of the question. So to those who own cochin roosters, how are they? How often do they crow? IF we do keep our "cockerel," I'm not a fan of a rooster box. Will he do fine in a coop with 7 girls? Here is me he/she.

Last edited:
What's wrong with a rooster box?

Well ya talked to be several times, LOL, but I still can tell you whole hartedly they tend to be the best Roos. I've yet to meet one that was active and aggressive. Even when raised with their siblings. They tend to be very easily tamed, so coddling them rarely ends up with an aggressive roo (and I can speak from multiple experiences)

He won't crow much since they're not other roosters, but loud noises (like barking dogs) or first thing in the morning will set off crowing.
Best of luck, partridge is a very pretty color ;)

I've had two bantam cochin roosters and the first one was a total sweetheart. The one I have now is aggressive. Both would start crowing in the early morning and also during the day. They don't seem quite as loud as my neighbors standard size roosters.

What's wrong with a rooster box?

Well ya talked to be several times, LOL, but I still can tell you whole hartedly they tend to be the best Roos. I've yet to meet one that was active and aggressive. Even when raised with their siblings. They tend to be very easily tamed, so coddling them rarely ends up with an aggressive roo (and I can speak from multiple experiences)

He won't crow much since they're not other roosters, but loud noises (like barking dogs) or first thing in the morning will set off crowing.
Best of luck, partridge is a very pretty color
wink.png
It reminds me of "the box" from Cool Hand Luke.
lol.png
But I just looked at them on google and I realized they are only for sleeping, so I don't mind them now. Olive's personality changed. If Olive does turn out to be Oliver, I think "she" should stay when her, Gracie, and Harley move into the coop with the other 5 older leghorns because Olive can stand up to them in case anyone gets picked on. Olive is rather sweet, I had her and Gracie when it was getting dark and Gracie was trying to get comfortable but Olive was snuggled into my hand! I really hope we can keep her. Personally, I wouldn't mind a couple crows a day.

Back
Top Bottom