How are Jersey Giants & White Rocks?

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I am strongly considering these 2 breeds for my chicken tractor meat birds this year. I know they are slower growing than typical broiler birds. But I was hoping to save a little on feed cost with better foraging and activity and maybe better flavor??

Or what breeds would be better for a larger carcass(maybe 4.5 - 6+ pounds)

My 18 wk old JG roos were about 5-6 lbs cleaned. The hens were tiny buy thats why I processed them, they just didn't grow as well as others. There is not as much breast meat on them as you may be used to but the meat tasted very good.

I am going to end up with some JG/BO crosses in spring. I'm hoping they will grow faster than JG but be a little bigger than BO.

I was just told, within the last 2 days, that Delwares make decent meat birds/dual purpose yet they still have quicker growth and good foraging abilities. Have you had experience with them? I will get a few Jersey Giants as an experiment this spring.

BTW, I love the picture of your GP! We got our GP this past Father's Day(2012) and we love her and I can hear her barking in the pasture as we speak!

I have 4 of 5 Jersey giants left from my spring purchase of chicks. The unexpected rooster that came in the mix is already in the freezer. Too mean and aggressive for the grand kids and ourselves. My little giant hens are going on 9 months old now and weight wise, they are really not much bigger than the rest of my 16 other hens. I also purchased them as a multipurpose bird whith intentions of using them for meat birds when they achieved full weight. It wasnt a good choice in my opinion. New Hampshire reds and Wyandottes are better egg layers and a favorite for meat production because they mature faster. You will spend almost twice the feed money on Jersey giants waiting for them to become table fare weight. Plymouth barred rocks are easier to come by than the true breed of White rocks. I believe you may be talking about the white cornish hens used for meat purposes. If you want a really tasty bird, get the golden laced wyandottes. If you want a good egg layer, get some black sex links. Good luck!

Look at the Red and Black broilers from Ideal Poultry, they are running a special right now. The link can be found in the front page of BYC right now.

Delawares are a cross between a Plymouth barred rock and a New hampshire red. I may myself buy a few in the spring for versitility and crossbreeding. Read up on the history on these and all your selections. It might add to your decisions.

i have jersey giants, and yes these birds take between 6 and 9 months before they are slaughter weight. the wait is well worth it too. jersey giant meat is one of the tastiest chicken meat i have ever had.
i keep my feed cost down by allowing them too free range for bugs and whatever else they can find.
also your roo's wont be aggressive if you handle them daily. they tend too get too much testrastem [not sure of spelling]. handling them daily does the trick, but must start at hatching.

Back
Top Bottom