How are new chicks transported.

pouletmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Battle Ground, Washington
I recently purchased 4 female chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. I live in Washington State. They will be delivered in April. How can they be shipped from so far away and still be alive when delivered?

First
welcome-byc.gif
glad you could join
frow.gif

Well first when a chick is hatched the last thing that happens
is the chick takes up the last of the egg inside of itself and
this will sustain them for three days with out feed or water
but you will find these little guys will be week when they
arrive so you will need to be prepared with a warm place for
them to rest and play, you need to have water for them and
some chick feed ........
These guys will arrive in a cardboard (BOX)
celebrate.gif

gander007
old.gif

images
to BYC!

Yes, it is scary having those little ones shipped from so far away. Chicks can survive a few days from their absorbed egg sac at hatching. But the shipping can be hard on them. And sometimes some don't make it thru. Make sure to notifiy the PO before they arrive as some PO's will call you when they arrive at the office. When you first get them home, have your brooder ready with the heat up to 95 degrees, water and food ready. It helps to lay down paper towels on the floor by the feeder and sprinkle food all around the floor so the babies can find it.. In a few days, once they figure out where the food is, you can remove the towels.

Also, put a 2 teaspoons of sugar in a quart waterer for the chicks for a few days. This will help with the stress of shipping, get the blood sugars steady and give them some energy. Dip their beaks in the water the moment you go to place them in the brooder. This way they get an instant drink of water and know where it is. Also, tap with your finger at the food to get them started eating.

Don't cover your brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange in the brooder. It helps to use a red or infra-red bulb for heat and keep it off to one side so there are cool spots in the brooder. Keep the food and water off to the other side from the heat as well so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods.

I like to get mine started in roosting early in life so I put in cut branches from a tree outside for the first 2 weeks. They can climb on them and learn to roost. At 2 weeks, I switch them over to a 2x4, 2 side up for roosting. At 2 weeks old, they are roosting at night off the floor. Make for easier transition to the coop roost bar.

Lower the temp by 5 degrees for 6 weeks and you should be ready to go!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom