How Are You Covering Your Chicken Run for Avian Influenza?

I would never let them kill my birds like that.
Unfortunately, if you end up in an area with a case, they go door to door for testing. It would be impossible to hide them. If you start loosing birds and you report them, then they would take you to court over it, and win in the end. I don't think theres much choice in the matter. The only way to "ensure" they will not kill your birds is to prevent them from getting the virus. 😔
It makes me sad how they do it, I hate it. I just want it to go away. 😔

Unfortunately, if you end up in an area with a case, they go door to door for testing. It would be impossible to hide them. If you start loosing birds and you report them, then they would take you to court over it, and win in the end. I don't think theres much choice in the matter. The only way to "ensure" they will not kill your birds is to prevent them from getting the virus. 😔
It makes me sad how they do it, I hate it. I just want it to go away. 😔
So covering my run solves the problem?

So covering my run solves the problem?
Covering the run helps prevent them getting it. Did you watch the part of the video where he says that only the birds not in covered runs tested positive? So it greatly reduces your chances of getting it. The best thing would be to have them inside, but thats not feasible for most setups.

We had a scare in February. One of our chickens, "Chickadee" was making raspy, hoarse sounds. We too her immediately to the vets. He said she had a virus. She was separated from the flock and they were all treated for 10 days with Tylan soluble powder. Within 3 days she was better and none of the other chickens came down with any symptoms. They are no longer allowed in their "outdoor" run (we also had a chronic bumble foot problem).
They are now and have been in their covered run since the incident.

We are no longer feeding the wild birds in our yard. We have lots of migratory & water birds here in south Florida and it's just too risky. I'm not going jeopardize our 5 beloved ladies of Sunflower Cottage.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Figured this is a very interesting, and good question for the current situation. How is everybody covering their chicken runs? Me, and likely others would use some inspiration. I have a very wonky, and flimsy run that I don't think can be easily covered by tarps, though it will be a last resort.
Have plenty of hog panels for something hoop coop style, but not sure I can get any 2x4's long enough for the large run I will need.
Interested to hear everyone else's ideas, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for inspiration.
Wow, my chickens are pasture chickens. They go in the coop at sun down and out by 6am. Now how would I protect my flock from avian influenza. You thought you had problems?

Figured this is a very interesting, and good question for the current situation. How is everybody covering their chicken runs? Me, and likely others would use some inspiration. I have a very wonky, and flimsy run that I don't think can be easily covered by tarps, though it will be a last resort.
Have plenty of hog panels for something hoop coop style, but not sure I can get any 2x4's long enough for the large run I will need.
Interested to hear everyone else's ideas, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for inspiration.
Hey folks, I would really appreciate knowing where you are all from, as my understanding is that this issue is (presently) in the northeast, and me and my chickens are in the far northwest. Before I take them out of the orchard, and coop them up for a long hot summer, I'd love to know more about the status of this thing, and whether or not you are directly in the path, what are your expectations for the lock down, etc.? Links to ongoing and updated info?
Sure do appreciate it.

Hey folks, I would really appreciate knowing where you are all from, as my understanding is that this issue is (presently) in the northeast, and me and my chickens are in the far northwest. Before I take them out of the orchard, and coop them up for a long hot summer, I'd love to know more about the status of this thing, and whether or not you are directly in the path, what are your expectations for the lock down, etc.? Links to ongoing and updated info?
Sure do appreciate it.
I’m not good at inserting links, but it’s easy enough to google “Aphis” then select 2022 avian influenza confirmations. There are also maps, bio security measures and other information to protect your flock.

My chicken run is covered in 1/2 HC on the sides and bottom with galvanized roofing fully covering the top. There have not been any positive confirmations within 100 miles of my location but I still keep them inside except for the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to clean the coop in the morning. As soon as I start filling their feeders they all come running back inside.

Back
Top Bottom