How are you eating your duck eggs?

Awesome, thanks. Now to just wait & find out if Quackers is a girl lol. I have never tried duck eggs before, after reading this thread now I want some lol.

When our ducks first started laying, my family members were hilariously averse to eating them, but after my boyfriend and I eating the eggs for months, they got on board. We love them for baking--duck egg creme brulee, mousse, brownies, etc. Love them in omelettes, they have what I consider a less "Eggy" flavor to them that has a hint of sweetness that chicken eggs don't seem to have, and they make the fluffiest omelettes in the universe. We fry them for sandwiches.

Just about the only way we don't like them is hard boiled--they are very strange to peel. I saw on some thread that you could tell if an egg had gone bad by dropping it in water--was it if it floats it's good or is it if it sinks?

Wow! It's crazy how many people out there don't know about duck eggs!

A little over due, but here are aome scrambled egg tacos we made for dinner the other night:

This recipe came together on a whim; mostly just my husband and I trying to use up various different ingredients! But they were Delish!!!

2 XL double yoke duck eggs (3-4 regular size) scrambled
2 slices Spam cooked on the griddle and cubed *bacon, ham or sausage works here too
1/2 onion, grilled
Shredded Chedder cheese
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
Salsa
A handful chopped fresh chives
Corn tortillas (good qlty)

When our ducks first started laying, my family members were hilariously averse to eating them, but after my boyfriend and I eating the eggs for months, they got on board.  We love them for baking--duck egg creme brulee, mousse, brownies, etc.  Love them in omelettes, they have what I consider a less "Eggy" flavor to them that has a hint of sweetness that chicken eggs don't seem to have, and they make the fluffiest omelettes in the universe.  We fry them for sandwiches.

Just about the only way we don't like them is hard boiled--they are very strange to peel.  I saw on some thread that you could tell if an egg had gone bad by dropping it in water--was it if it floats it's good or is it if it sinks?

If it floats it's bad mkay ;)

As long as it's touching the bottom it's good to eat

Secret to peeling duck eggs: The egg doesn't have to be old... It has to have been boiled a couple days ago. I noticed this when we first started eating boiled duck eggs. I would boil up a dozen at a time and put them in the refrigerator. As the week progressed, I got "better" at peeling them. So next batch, I confidently go to peel a fresh egg and the outer 1/16" sticks to the shell, I haven't learned a thing
he.gif
. So I found out the following:

Boil 3 days before peeling (if possible). Then refrigerate. I think over time either the membrane-to-white bond weakens or the white gets stronger or both.

Lightly rap the egg on the counter several times (you want to crack the shell but not stress the white 1/16" in).

Roll the egg back and forth about 3 times between your palm and the counter (center,left,right)- again very lightly - you want to damage the shell as much as possible without stressing the white. Because the membrane is much stronger than the one on a chicken egg, you don't have to worry too much about small shell pieces.

Start on the big end (or where the air bubble happens to be if it moved and go slow tearing the membrane around the egg (the shell itself should be cracked enough that it just comes along for the ride - if you hit a larger piece of shell that so that the membrane won't easily peel, depress it lightly with your thumb to crack it.

Every egg doesn't come out perfect (the smaller ones are harder because the curves are steeper), but it is MUCH easier than the day they were boiled.

Back
Top Bottom