How big and how much money for a run?

If you put the word out that you need recycled building material, perhaps you'll get most of it for nothing. I had a friend donate four full-length glass doors after they finished remodeling their house. I used them as wind breaks in my new run.

Another friend donated a bunch of Coroplast panels that are useful as side covers in winter to keep out the wind chill.

Also, if you build a rectangular run, plan on breaking it up internally with partitions to make it more interesting for the chickens as well as useful for being able to segregate chicks at one time of year and problem individuals at other periods.

We picked up chain link at the junkyard and got some metal posts out of storage. Our run is about 500 sq. feet (32 ft. long, 16 ft wide) and it cost 50 dollars. We pulled a bunch of rocks out of the garden and got some free bricks at a remodeling project and dumped those around the base to make it hard for animals to dig. It looks pretty good, except for the latch on the gate, which is actually an old dog collar.

I'd check craigslist for "haul away our junk" remodeling projects in your area, and also for pallets, chain link fence, lumber, fence posts... I'd also check out the classifieds in your newspaper, and the junkyard. No need to spend a few hundred dollars at Lowes or Home Depot or whatever your local equivalent is!

If the ground is frozen, you are going to have a hard time building your run. IMO, building a run is well within the ability of the average person. You will need a saw, the lumber, some concrete to set posts, perhaps some metal post anchors. Or you can go the super simple route, and attach your fencing to 8' T posts. Cover the top with bird netting. No matter what style run you build, you will need a skirt around it.

You can build a run rather cheap if you are resourceful. Check CL for old swingsets, trampolines, 6' privacy fencing, party tents, greenhouse frames, chainlink fencing.... Don't forget to dumpster dive... Hit a ReStore... My run cost about 6 hours of my time and $0. I used a wind damaged 10x20 canopy frame. Cut the legs down where they bent. Had 50' rolls of chainlink from dumpster diving. Covered the top with 4x4 field fence (does not keep the annoying magpies out but owls and hawks can't get in). Sunk one post for the gate which is a cut down pallet. I placed the railroad ties to secure the bottom. A few tposts to secure the ends and anchor it. I have a horrible coyote problem and they've never breached it.

Attachments

• 20171223_083009.jpg
    20171223_083009.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom