HOW BIG DO BOURBON REDS GET AND IS IT TRUE THEIR MEAT IS THE TASTIEST?

Kalunga Pharms

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Been contemplating ontinuing with the BBWs or going for BBBs or going for BR heritage turkeys. The weight of the birds do matter to me, likewise the flavour or taste and also would love to be self sustained and so was thinking the Bourbon Reds as they are heritage can fit this role, though I am going to do it purely for commerce. I would like to know how big they can get if they are fed well to the required 28week span for processing. Have you had them before and what were their weights just before and after processing?

Last edited:
Been contemplating ontinuing with the BBWs or going for BBBs or going for BR heritage turkeys. The weight of the birds do matter to me, likewise the flavour or taste and also would love to be self sustained and so was thinking the Bourbon Reds as they are heritage can fit this role, though I am going to do it purely for commerce. I would like to know how big they can get if they are fed well to the required 28week span for processing. Have you had them before and what were their weights just before and after processing?
Most of my heritage varieties are anywhere from 15-18 pounds after processing for toms. At 6 to 7 months old

It takes a lot more time and feed to get heritage birds ready for processing than BBW/BBB so you have to charge a lot more money per pound to just break even. Has to be a market in your area for the more expensive heritage to sell and make money.
Thanks so much, @Huntmaster for this. I raise my BBW turkeys for 6-7 months before processing. People down here are concerned about the weight rather quality and flavour. They don't even know what a heritage or broad breasted turkey is, all they know is they want turkey meat. Only a few are concerned about the source and quality of their turkey meat. I always try to make my birds have a natural growth as best as I can. It's something they wouldn't pay more for and I understand. Mostly, it's the reverse in West Africa, the BBWs cost more because of their weight and as a rule of thumb heritage turkeys cost less because of their less weights.

Search craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or other swap sites in your area and see what people are charging. I've seen anywhere from $3 to $5 a pound for the BB and $8 to $10 for the heritage in my area. I'm new and just learning so I have a hard time comprehending anyone paying that much for turkey but well see. I did notice recently at my local grocery store selling sliced turkey breast as "turkey steaks" for $6.99 a pound and though....great idea.

My mother lives in Greensboro, NC and at a farmers market last fall a Heritage Turkey breeder was taking $20 deposits on their $15 a pound turkeys. I'm in a different market and stood in aww at the line of people that I thought were nuts buying paying $150 for 10 pound turkey but if you have that kind of market then that dictates the price.

Search craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or other swap sites in your area and see what people are charging. I've seen anywhere from $3 to $5 a pound for the BB and $8 to $10 for the heritage in my area. I'm new and just learning so I have a hard time comprehending anyone paying that much for turkey but well see. I did notice recently at my local grocery store selling sliced turkey breast as "turkey steaks" for $6.99 a pound and though....great idea.

My mother lives in Greensboro, NC and at a farmers market last fall a Heritage Turkey breeder was taking $20 deposits on their $15 a pound turkeys. I'm in a different market and stood in aww at the line of people that I thought were nuts buying paying $150 for 10 pound turkey but if you have that kind of market then that dictates the price.
I believe the OP is in West Africa. His selling conditions will be entirely different than our selling conditions including what he can use as a marketplace.

It really helps get better responses if a member will give a general location in their profile.

I believe the OP is in West Africa. His selling conditions will be entirely different than our selling conditions including what he can use as a marketplace.

It really helps get better responses if a member will give a general location in their profile.
Yea, you are right @R2elk, may be he didn't notice. The prices are quite about ½ less. A kilogram of turkey meat would normally go for around GHC 45-50, which is around USD 8. The market is not so much of an online thing, but online presence counts a lot as you are able to reach out to a large audience, but small customer base nonetheless. Turkey meat is considered as a thing for the rich and is mostly bought by doctors, engineers, politicians, business men, big hotels and restaurants. Turkey is not really a thing here, the average Ghanaian prefers cheap chicken to spending huge on buying turkeys. Not many have tasted turkey so the small turkey industry targets the big shots as they seem to be more interested in buying our birds. We go in search for market, people don't normally come. I free range my turkeys in the morning and afternoon as a way of showing them to the public and drawing interest. Their strutting always does some magic.
The middle class only buy turkey when it's Christmas and that's when the market peaks. I am glad to be a member of this forum because my questions always get answered by experienced farmers and homesteaders.

Back
Top Bottom