How big is a big egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OleSandhiller, Sep 22, 2013.

1. OleSandhiller

OleSandhiller Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Atkinson, Nebraska
    Hello everyone. First time poster from Nebraska. Great place for chicken lovers to share there knowledge, experiences and love for chickens. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from all the great people that share on Backyard Chickens. Thank you
    One of our rhode island reds laid a huge egg. I weighed it on my powder scale and it weighed 116.7 grams. I expected to find the ole girl prolapsed or dead. All the girls look good, no one worse for the wear. I would love to hear some stories about big, mongo, huge, giant and very large eggs. I think the egg is huge but I am just an Ole sandhiller from Nebraska. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg on the left is 116.7 grams, egg on right 63 grams.

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Are your chickens free range? Rhode island hens tend to lay larger eggs when they are free range. It's typical for a Rhode Island red to lay a large egg like that..Your hen will be fine. The healthier the hens are, the better the eggs and the more they lay.

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It probably has 2 or more yolks. Sometimes there is a glitch in the system but they usually occur in newly laying or older hens. Everyone should be fine.

4. OleSandhiller

Jul 22, 2013
    Atkinson, Nebraska
    Yes, these girls are free range. Found this egg and 12 more under the grandkids playhouse. Ate the
    other 12, no exploders.

5. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Well, they are laying well for sure!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    Hello from Omaha

7. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    i have had some eggs that are huge --they wont fit into a jumbo egg carton. they were the size of pekin eggs. and yup all my crew free range-- they were all double yokers. have you ever stood there and watched your chicken lay an egg? I have managed to be there several times when my hens have done that. they grunt and groan like they are giving birth, stuck my hand out and caught the egg---pretty cool.

8. OleSandhiller

Jul 22, 2013
    Atkinson, Nebraska
    When I get home tonight I will crack it open and see how many yokes it has. Your rooster looks like a lover not a fighter.

9. chart

chart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    I usually get at least one big double-yolker every ten days or so. Since 2 of mine are roosters and 2 lay white eggs, that leaves me with 6 possibles. I've only caught one of my Naked Necks laying a double. My friend has a very tiny White Leghorn and every egg she lays is huge. Ouch!

10. OleSandhiller

Jul 22, 2013
    Atkinson, Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    cracked open the egg. It was a single yoke,thought for sure there would be 2 or 3 yokes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by