How big is a big egg?

OleSandhiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Atkinson, Nebraska
Hello everyone. First time poster from Nebraska. Great place for chicken lovers to share there knowledge, experiences and love for chickens. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from all the great people that share on Backyard Chickens. Thank you
One of our rhode island reds laid a huge egg. I weighed it on my powder scale and it weighed 116.7 grams. I expected to find the ole girl prolapsed or dead. All the girls look good, no one worse for the wear. I would love to hear some stories about big, mongo, huge, giant and very large eggs. I think the egg is huge but I am just an Ole sandhiller from Nebraska. Here are some pictures.

Egg on the left is 116.7 grams, egg on right 63 grams.

Sandstorm495

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Darwin, Australia
Are your chickens free range? Rhode island hens tend to lay larger eggs when they are free range. It's typical for a Rhode Island red to lay a large egg like that..Your hen will be fine. The healthier the hens are, the better the eggs and the more they lay.

houseofknauss

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Hello everyone. First time poster from Nebraska. Great place for chicken lovers to share there knowledge, experiences and love for chickens. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from all the great people that share on Backyard Chickens. Thank you
One of our rhode island reds laid a huge egg. I weighed it on my powder scale and it weighed 116.7 grams. I expected to find the ole girl prolapsed or dead. All the girls look good, no one worse for the wear. I would love to hear some stories about big, mongo, huge, giant and very large eggs. I think the egg is huge but I am just an Ole sandhiller from Nebraska. Here are some pictures.

Egg on the left is 116.7 grams, egg on right 63 grams.

i have had some eggs that are huge --they wont fit into a jumbo egg carton. they were the size of pekin eggs. and yup all my crew free range-- they were all double yokers. have you ever stood there and watched your chicken lay an egg? I have managed to be there several times when my hens have done that. they grunt and groan like they are giving birth, stuck my hand out and caught the egg---pretty cool.

chart

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Chino Valley, AZ.
I usually get at least one big double-yolker every ten days or so. Since 2 of mine are roosters and 2 lay white eggs, that leaves me with 6 possibles. I've only caught one of my Naked Necks laying a double. My friend has a very tiny White Leghorn and every egg she lays is huge. Ouch!

Top Bottom