How big is a big egg?

OleSandhiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Atkinson, Nebraska
Hello everyone. First time poster from Nebraska. Great place for chicken lovers to share there knowledge, experiences and love for chickens. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from all the great people that share on Backyard Chickens. Thank you
One of our rhode island reds laid a huge egg. I weighed it on my powder scale and it weighed 116.7 grams. I expected to find the ole girl prolapsed or dead. All the girls look good, no one worse for the wear. I would love to hear some stories about big, mongo, huge, giant and very large eggs. I think the egg is huge but I am just an Ole sandhiller from Nebraska. Here are some pictures.

Egg on the left is 116.7 grams, egg on right 63 grams.

Are your chickens free range? Rhode island hens tend to lay larger eggs when they are free range. It's typical for a Rhode Island red to lay a large egg like that..Your hen will be fine. The healthier the hens are, the better the eggs and the more they lay.

Hello everyone. First time poster from Nebraska. Great place for chicken lovers to share there knowledge, experiences and love for chickens. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from all the great people that share on Backyard Chickens. Thank you
One of our rhode island reds laid a huge egg. I weighed it on my powder scale and it weighed 116.7 grams. I expected to find the ole girl prolapsed or dead. All the girls look good, no one worse for the wear. I would love to hear some stories about big, mongo, huge, giant and very large eggs. I think the egg is huge but I am just an Ole sandhiller from Nebraska. Here are some pictures.

Egg on the left is 116.7 grams, egg on right 63 grams.

i have had some eggs that are huge --they wont fit into a jumbo egg carton. they were the size of pekin eggs. and yup all my crew free range-- they were all double yokers. have you ever stood there and watched your chicken lay an egg? I have managed to be there several times when my hens have done that. they grunt and groan like they are giving birth, stuck my hand out and caught the egg---pretty cool.

I usually get at least one big double-yolker every ten days or so. Since 2 of mine are roosters and 2 lay white eggs, that leaves me with 6 possibles. I've only caught one of my Naked Necks laying a double. My friend has a very tiny White Leghorn and every egg she lays is huge. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom