How big of a coop do I need?

small chickens can get away with 2-3 square foot of FLOOR space per chicken. Medium/large need a MINIMUM of 4 sq ft of floor space per chicken.
x2.

Especially if you live in a cold area where they'll be cooped up all winter. And ten feet per hen in the run.

I admit that I don't keep strictly to that (my coop's about ten feet too small for my twenty-three hens) but they have a small outdoor alternative shelter (old dog house) in winter that the pullets tend to prefer so that they can get away from the older hens during the day.

How many square feet should a coop be for 8 Maran chickens?
I haven't had chickens in a while and I need to build a coop. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.
Welcome to BYC!

Go Bigger than you think, you won't regret it.
Meanwhile read this article by RR about Space:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Adding your general location to your profile can really help garner better answers suggestions, most chicken questions are climate dependent.
upload_2018-3-20_18-23-32.png

How many square feet should a coop be for 8 Maran chickens?
I haven't had chickens in a while and I need to build a coop. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.
Build the biggest coop and run that you can. Chicken math will get you just like it gets everyone else.

Build big. Build walk in. That way, if you find that chickens are really not what you were looking for, you can repurpose your coop to a garden shed. You'll never regret building big, or walk in. But, many many many posters will tell you that they regretted not building a walk in or building big the first time. (myself included) And avoid at all costs: pre fab. Pre fab = Over priced, falsely advertised, poorly designed, poor materials.

Back
Top Bottom