How big of a coop for 60-100 laying hens??

Sphynxcrazy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
I am looking into have a coop built instead of having coops all over the place. I have 60 some pullets/hens right now and would like a coop for around 75 or 100. not totally sure as to how much i will be charged.

So how big of coop for say 75 and 100?? This is more a coop for roosting and laying eggs they have a large pen and get to free range , The winter weather is not very bad and if it snows is melted by that afternoon and they are always out foraging, so they don't spend the winter in there so no need for extra space.

Is there some type of layout/design i should show the guy? Also what type of roosts and how many nest boxes? Im not really sure.....

thank-you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first off, check with your municipality about size of outbuildings you can build on your property?
better to ask before and know than build and have to demo after they find out.
In my area, a maximum 108 sq ft floor could be built without a building permit. Any larger and a building permit, plan, blueprints etc are necessary.
I think the idea is that a larger structure, needs to be securely and safely built and the local municipality is partly responsible for homeowners who build without care.
They also will be looking for funds too for larger structures (building permit etc)

That being said, I do think that abt 2 sq ft per bird is adequate for a coop where they have room to go outside too.
I may be wrong, but that's how I built mine and my birds never looked crowded, nor had any issues w pecking or trauma from crowding.
2 sq ft per bird, 100 birds, 200 sq ft. A 10x10 shed is 100 sq ft. A 10 x 20 is 200 sq ft.

If you are building a single coop, plan to build it for your max capacity of birds. If you plan on eventually 100, then build for that.
You could consider a larger coop that is multi sectioned inside. This way you can use the area's you need and not have to have the entire place under use for perhaps only half the birds.
Also, consider your working space/storage space if its going to be inside the coop. Get some graph paper and make a few drawings. It will help big time and when it comes to building, no misunderstanding to size/dimensions will happen if your plan is complete before you start.

My neighbour had one in that style. It was rectangular with the yards on the long side. Inside it was divided in 3 or 4 sections.
Each had it's own roosts, feeding/water stations, nest boxes and it's own door for entry, separate from the othes, and still enclosed within the entire coop.
Consider that you could create a large removeable panel between each sectio so they can be joined into one without having to remove a whole wall?

Just a few logistic thoughts for you, and one build/permit thought to consider.
Hope that helps?
Jenny

and we used natural branches for roosts. Different sized ones so that hen feet had variety for grip and foot health.
Too smooth, like a dowel or something, and they aren't as secure.
Basically, use what you think will hold a bunch of birds, different heights too. Never know who wants to be the 'king of the castle' lol.

And nest boxes, we made sure there were enough for over half the birds, so that they didn't have to wait for a space.
You may have different needs than our casual approach, but just offering my experience if it will help.
cheers
Jenny

I have a 12x20 pole barn coop that I have about housed 85-100 Laying hens. They free ranged everyday and they are fine! I have 20 nests and about 90 ft of roosts.

Nate

Every state and town has it's own rule on buidling structures.

Have you considered the monitor style? THe link is on here ( BYC) somewhere and there is the half- monitor, This was recommended by long time poutrymen and the link posted for all to see and use. THe design is very important for air flow and general health of the birds. IT is a pole barn, just a specific pole barn design.

I have 63 chickens in a 12 x 23 rectangular coop. Recently I added a 24 inch wide droppings board with a single roost board abover it that goes around about 3/4 of the coop wall, 3 feet off the ground (roost is at 4 ft.) Underneath the droppings board the entire coop is covered with deep litter. I have 14 nest boxes, 2 deep along 1 wall. It is an old wood barn with a metal roof and dirt floor. Works great. They have a large run, but free range all day during daylight hours.

Every state and town has it's own rule on buidling structures.

Have you considered the monitor style? THe link is on here ( BYC) somewhere and there is the half- monitor, This was recommended by long time poutrymen and the link posted for all to see and use. THe design is very important for air flow and general health of the birds. IT is a pole barn, just a specific pole barn design.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/half-monitor-chicken-coop

Last edited:
I've had up to 50 chickens in a 6'x13' sleeping coop and have plans for 5-10 more as soon as they're big enough to hang with the other. My only limit is the roost space.

That comes out to be 1.3 sqft/chicken, but like I said, it's only for sleeping. They free range all day almost everyday of the year. They have a 32'x13' run if I can't let them out for some reason.

thanks everyone for the replies. i have an idea now. im going to do a rectangular coop with roost and nest boxes lining the walls. my run is around the size of colburg's. And 50 of them in there does not look crowded at all. I have them in there in the morning to make sure they are getting their layer pellets and feed.They free range later and eat what ever tries to grow in the garden. so everything is good. any other advice or ideas welcome.

Also I have had very little pecking, just the occasional tale feather pulled out so far. I had canibilism going on when i had 12 in this pen, so I think it messes up the pecking order with that many in a pen. that or there better hatchery stock.

Back
Top Bottom