How big should 3 week Cornish Cross be?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ariel301, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Does anyone have a number for me on what a 3 week old Cornish Cross ought to weigh? I know I have slowed mine down by the way I am raising them (free range, lots of excercise and not on broiler food), but I'm curious how far behind they actually are.

Also, have any of yours been able to fly at that age? Mine are surprisingly good at flying, running (they're hard to catch!), and also roosting. They can fly up about 5 feet and perch on my shoulders!

2. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
  3. Dennis A

Dennis A Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Nichols Iowa
    I can get them to 2 lb. dressed
    [​IMG]
    Dennis

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:that is so crazy!! you've got some skills...

5. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Don't know what mine weighed at 3 weeks. l free range and feed homemix feed. Some were slower growing and others much faster. The more active chickens are the ones who grow much slower but none of them had any health issues. I have 7 which I kept back; smaller but true fee rangers and totally self sufficient, last to go in the coop at night and skip the feed pans in the morning. I would say that it takes 2-3 weeks extra to get the size of the couch potato version but they also eat a lot less so the math works out. Cx have gotten a bad rap in my book. I think it is all about the way they are raised. Even home grown ones are still being treated a little bit factory.

6. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    my CX's turned 3 weeks this week. I am interested to see replies to this thread as I was wondering the same... my avg one weighed 1 lb 9 oz.
    we are 12on/12off:flockraiser and tractored.

Edited to add: all of mine are pullets

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Mine are 4 weeks tomorrow, and they have been raised semi-FR. I can't let them totally free-range because they get picked up by hawks, but they have had a 4x8 raised veggie garden since they were a week old. They also get a mix of grains plus ground alfalfa pellets and a bit of good-quality cat food, and then some table scraps. They are still small, but I don't want to eat a bird raised on soy.

I will go weigh them tonight when I go out to throw hay to the horses.

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Here are mine that are just a few days over 3 weeks. I just moved them to the tractor yesterday.

[​IMG]

Not sure of their weights, but they I can tell by looking at them that they are right on track. They should be right at 2 pounds each, live weight.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Does your feeder just set on ground or is it raised? I want to make one like it, I have all the things I need (I think).

10. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Here are some of ours at about 3 weeks. They have been kept in the basement for their first weeks in a large pen with a heat lamp. They are now outside with the BR hens, free ranging for most of the day. They do not seem to have any issues with the big girls, and even like to try to figure out who's "momma" now. I do believe they had imprinted on my daughter's for awhile, as they were the ones feeding/watering them. Anytime they left the basement, all you heard was loud crazy peeping! They seem to be adjusting to outside life well the past 2 days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by