how big should a chicken house be for 300 chickens?

Absolutely, start out small. What if it turns out that your Mom decides that she doesn't like raising chickens?

Here's something to consider...a hen's production is best until her first molt, then it drops each year thereafter. If the goal is to raise layers in order to sell eggs, something needs to be done with the hens whose production isn't paying for their upkeep. Will your mom be able to process, or find somebody that can do it? I have a friend that raises hundreds of chickens on pasture, both layers and meat birds, for the Farmers Market. He and his team can process the nonproductive layers into "stewing hens".

Ditto on checking to see if there are restrictions on the maximum # of chickens you can keep.

If her goal is to supply eggs for personal use, maybe sell extras and the chickens are to be "pets with benefits", get a few chickens this year and add a few more later on to offset the drop in egg production.

I wouldn't put 300 chickens in one coop. I'd divide them up but hey what do I know I only have 27 chickens but their divided into two coops. I'd like to see your coop when its done.

yes we will sell eggs,laying hens,chicks and when they go into a molt my mom would sell them as meat chickens and then we would have a fresh batch of 6mo chicks to take their place and we already have under 100 chickens now my mom is going to see that the pen and house is built no matter what and yes we know all about the feed and water and we get out feed from a local farmer and selling eggs wont be an issue a co-op we sell too wants 100 dozen so we will always have money

Quote:
You would need a barn that is about 600 square feet or two sqaure feet per bird. In other words 20' x 30' barn would work well. The four square feet per bird often quoted here by small backyard flock owners is overkill, and two square feet per bird is sufficient room. For information discussing different poultry housing requirements, follow this link:

https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/poultryoverview.html

Quote:
Well little do you know but you know A LOT. I agree with you. I have over 100 chickens and I have about 12 chicken coops/chicken stalls. They change their room assignments every night.
hmm.png

Quote:
You would need a barn that is about 600 square feet or two sqaure feet per bird. In other words 20' x 30' barn would work well. The four square feet per bird often quoted here by small backyard flock owners is overkill, and two square feet per bird is sufficient room.

The chickens would probably beg to differ
wink.png

JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
You would need a barn that is about 600 square feet or two sqaure feet per bird. In other words 20' x 30' barn would work well. The four square feet per bird often quoted here by small backyard flock owners is overkill, and two square feet per bird is sufficient room.

The chickens would probably beg to differ
wink.png

JJ

Doubt it. They like to huddle when they roost.

Back
Top Bottom