How big should the brooder be?

Thanks for all of the advice. I am getting back into chickens after leaving the farm 30 years ago! I made a 2' X 8' brooder with 2' high walls out of panelboard. Installed two heat lamps in case one burns out. Our little flock of days-old chicks consists of:

2 Rhode Island Reds (hens)
3 Buff Orpingtons (mixed sex)
4 Black Australorps (hens)
2 Grey Barred Rocks (hens)
2 Araucanas - easter eggers (hens)

Realize one or more of the hens might turn out to be roosters, I am hoping for a least 8 layers for my family of four, and won't mind giving some eggs away or harvesting or rehoming some young roosters (my next door neighbor said OK to hens but no roosters). According to this thread, 1 SF per bird should get them by for 8 weeks, and I have just over that in my brooder. Planning to start and finish the coop in the next month. By the way some of the chicks are growing their wing feathers and starting to flutter around I will need to cover the brooder any day now. I have a screen door in the garage that should work OK and I will put some plywood over the gap at one end.

So far the chicks seem to be getting along fine. A peck here and there but nothing serious. Having fun so far! My young boys (4 and 7) have already picked out their favorites!

Doug in Montana

Here is a pic of my 2' X 2' X 8' brooder for 13 chicks. The oldest chicks are about a week old and starting to flap and fly about 1" off the bottom of the brooder! Do I need to cover this brooder already?

I started to build an now theres a rain storm going on an when its starting to be done I was playing baseball an 2nd baseman staped on my RIGHT HAND an
im screwed for a while

We have 18 chicks, bought two 3.5ftx3.5ft plastic kiddie pools and put one upside down on top of the other, zip tied them together and cut the top out. The chicks have more than enough room but we will be upgrading in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Liam,
Flock Masters measurements are very good for that many for a while if you have the room, it is very nice, but if you keep them out side like in the coop or garage I would reccomend either cardboard sides be put up or some sort of sides along with a heat lamp or light bulb, I personally use a 100w regular light bulb (I've never had any issues with a regular light bulb), and my brooder I use boxes that my mail order 50lb bag dog food is mailed to me in with the sides taped up works great and card board also holds heat well when it is cold out it is disposable easy to replace. But still a lot of great options on here I'm sure you you will find something which works for you. :)

Poles should be fine because they are not in constant contact with them on their feet, don't use cedar shaving for any animals the oil in the shavings is harsh on their flesh. Pine shavings are best. Some people like hay or straw for bedding, straw & hay is messy.

Back
Top Bottom