1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big should the brooder be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The first week standard size chicks do good at half a square foot per chick. They will out grow it then and will need 1 square foot per chick for the next 2 weeks. Then add an addition half a square foot for every 2 weeks.

Matt

edited to add: I have seen lots of folks lose chicks to the mess that ducks make. The ducks get everything wet and that includes chicks which die easily from a chill. I would keep them seperate.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I also read 6-12 inches square per bird for 6 weeks. I am getting 25 chicks soon and have made 2-3 brooders. None will hold them all to 6 wks old, so I have planned to separate every 2 weeks or so to thin the flock and increase space. My question is this: Will the establishment of pecking order in each brooder prevent a seamless reintroduction into the tractor @ 6 wks old? Is this not a good idea or will it be manageable? I guess I could split my coop into halves to avoid a stressed environment. What do you guys think?[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:how many did u have?

Twenty-three chicks

4. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I got a bunch of free ply wood so i think im going to build it out of that. Im thinking it will be 8 by 10 or 12 by 2 feet high. I am going to build a top so they cant fly out. And i will use my old brooder(a rubbermade) for the ducklings.

5. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:how many did u have?

Twenty-three chicks

we had about that many and we just used the 55 gallon rubermaid
    they do fine just like that
    nobody got hurt or anything [​IMG]

6. Judson

Judson New Egg

Jan 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi all, we are also getting our first chicks this spring and are trying to do all of the prep work asap. Unless I am reading something wrong, there have been suggestions of anywhere from 6 square inches to 2 square feet per chick. 6 square inches would be 24 chicks per square foot!!! This can't possibly be correct??? Can it? I'm just a city boy who moved to a rural area so I sure don't know, just checking.

--Judson--

7. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:i dont think it is...but like i've said, the best first time brooder is a 50-55 gallon rubermaid tub
    its an easy clean up, and it keeps the chicks safe

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:6 square inces is 1/2 sq. ft., so 2 birds/sq. ft. 10 sq. ft of brooder space will hold up to 20 chicks (I believe to be correct.)

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    6" square is actually 1/4 a square foot. 1/2 foot square and 1/2 square foot are not the same thing. And 6 square inches is yet something else!

Yea geometry :p

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    ...i am completly confused........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by