How big should the brooder be?

The first week standard size chicks do good at half a square foot per chick. They will out grow it then and will need 1 square foot per chick for the next 2 weeks. Then add an addition half a square foot for every 2 weeks.

Matt

edited to add: I have seen lots of folks lose chicks to the mess that ducks make. The ducks get everything wet and that includes chicks which die easily from a chill. I would keep them seperate.

Last edited:
I also read 6-12 inches square per bird for 6 weeks. I am getting 25 chicks soon and have made 2-3 brooders. None will hold them all to 6 wks old, so I have planned to separate every 2 weeks or so to thin the flock and increase space. My question is this: Will the establishment of pecking order in each brooder prevent a seamless reintroduction into the tractor @ 6 wks old? Is this not a good idea or will it be manageable? I guess I could split my coop into halves to avoid a stressed environment. What do you guys think?
idunno.gif

I got a bunch of free ply wood so i think im going to build it out of that. Im thinking it will be 8 by 10 or 12 by 2 feet high. I am going to build a top so they cant fly out. And i will use my old brooder(a rubbermade) for the ducklings.

Quote:
how many did u have?

Twenty-three chicks

we had about that many and we just used the 55 gallon rubermaid
they do fine just like that
nobody got hurt or anything
smile.png

Hi all, we are also getting our first chicks this spring and are trying to do all of the prep work asap. Unless I am reading something wrong, there have been suggestions of anywhere from 6 square inches to 2 square feet per chick. 6 square inches would be 24 chicks per square foot!!! This can't possibly be correct??? Can it? I'm just a city boy who moved to a rural area so I sure don't know, just checking.

--Judson--

Quote:
i dont think it is...but like i've said, the best first time brooder is a 50-55 gallon rubermaid tub
its an easy clean up, and it keeps the chicks safe

Quote:
6 square inces is 1/2 sq. ft., so 2 birds/sq. ft. 10 sq. ft of brooder space will hold up to 20 chicks (I believe to be correct.)

6" square is actually 1/4 a square foot. 1/2 foot square and 1/2 square foot are not the same thing. And 6 square inches is yet something else!

Yea geometry :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom