1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How big to Buff Orpington combs get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xC0000005, Nov 18, 2009.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    I've got one chicken whose comb is...very large. Even compared to the otheres. It flops over (and goes a little back over the head). In theory these are all hens, and perhaps this is normal and I just don't recognize it. We were debating it being a rooster but we've never heard a crow at all (and I do mean never).

Warning - I could not reduce the size of the image. Modem users need not apply (and should probably run in fear).

Normal sized comb ?

2. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    That LOOKS like a rooster to me. We have Orps too. That looks the size of our roos comb. Our hens a short and tight to the head, fingered out. sorry no pic. try this site to resize yer pics too. worked for me and my avatar. http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My full stock Buff Orpingtons have a simlar size comb. That is not a Roo... looks alot like my hens.

I have a few pics but mine are even larger than this now and flopping over a bit. I have seen people with BO's that the combs are not large though

My pullets at about age 23 weeks(As you can see your hen looks nothing like my Roo)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by