My buff Orpington is a big bully

Chickmama77

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2018
I have 4 girls all 9 months old. One buff Orpington and 3 Dominique’s …the buff Orpington (Mona ) just starting picking on one of the Dominique’s (Dot) now my second Dominique (the twin) is also picking on Dot. They are in a 8x8 pen. Have a nestera coop. One large hanging waterer an over easy feeder. Dot has spots on her comb where she’s being pecked. We free range every day from 2pm-5pm. When I see the two girls pick on Dot I shoo them away or push them away. Dot has become a nervous wreck. Very jumpy. They have a 8ft roosting bar in the pen. Snacks are given throughout the day. I really don’t want to rehome or kill my girls. What else can I do …please help

Put Pinless Peepers* on the two bullies. It may not stop the behavior all together, but it should give your Dot a break from them. Without knowing the situation directly or knowing Dot's health (that could be a possible cause), the free ranging for only a few hours could be a problem. They're used to the space, then, when they're put together, they're bored and looking for trouble. Adding more flock (younger) members might help spread out the pecking on Dot and adding more things to the run (perches, ladders, trees, etc.) for entertainment and escape might be helpful. (Lots of space with places to escape from bullies are very beneficial to pecking orders!)

*Link to how to apply Pinless Peepers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-apply-pinless-peepers.78669/

I had a problem with 2 bullies going after the 2 youngest pullets in my flock this summer, while this new flock's pecking order was getting sorted out. I kept a water gun loaded by the chicken yard and gave the bully a water blast whenever she pursued her intended victims. They REALLY didn't like that - and I was far enough away (outside their run) they didn't connect me with the faceful of water hosing them down. It deterred the bullying at least while I was around, and no one was losing feathers or missing meals/water.

Lacy Duckwing's advice about the pinless peepers is the best idea for 24 hour deterrence, especially since Dot's getting hurt. But if you have the time to lurk nearby (or until you can get the Peepers) the shot of water could help derail the bullies' attacks.

Put Pinless Peepers* on the two bullies. It may not stop the behavior all together, but it should give your Dot a break from them. Without knowing the situation directly or knowing Dot's health (that could be a possible cause), the free ranging for only a few hours could be a problem. They're used to the space, then, when they're put together, they're bored and looking for trouble. Adding more flock (younger) members might help spread out the pecking on Dot and adding more things to the run (perches, ladders, trees, etc.) for entertainment and escape might be helpful. (Lots of space with places to escape from bullies are very beneficial to pecking orders!)

*Link to how to apply Pinless Peepers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-apply-pinless-peepers.78669/
Thank you! I think you’re right about the free range then in the pen. And I’ll get the peepers

I had a problem with 2 bullies going after the 2 youngest pullets in my flock this summer, while this new flock's pecking order was getting sorted out. I kept a water gun loaded by the chicken yard and gave the bully a water blast whenever she pursued her intended victims. They REALLY didn't like that - and I was far enough away (outside their run) they didn't connect me with the faceful of water hosing them down. It deterred the bullying at least while I was around, and no one was losing feathers or missing meals/water.

Lacy Duckwing's advice about the pinless peepers is the best idea for 24 hour deterrence, especially since Dot's getting hurt. But if you have the time to lurk nearby (or until you can get the Peepers) the shot of water could help derail the bullies' attacks.
Thank you! I’ll look for a water gun.

Whenever my chickens see dark spots they peck at it. It’s normal for them but you may need to keep them in seperate cages.
They snap at her body too. I see it when I give them treats and if Dot finds a great place to scratch in the ground for bugs… Mona comes over And snaps at her or pecks her to make her move…so Mona can takeover her area

How long have you had these birds?
Are they laying yet?
What kind of feed do they get(protein and calcium percentages)?
How many and what kind of 'treats' do they get per day, and how often??
How big is the coop, in feet by feet? IIRC nestera's are fairly small.
Pen might be a bit small too.
Is there any 'clutter' in the run?
Pics would help here.

They are laying. I do a layer feed (free feeding). And a grower feed once a day(mash)…Treats are cracked corn, sardines, bsf larvae; Once a day, Alternating the 3. The pen is 8x8. No clutter. The nestera coop is raised so it’s a little shelter under the coop. I can post pictures when I go out today …thank you for any information !!! I love these little girls and don’t want to have to get rid of anyone

Back
Top Bottom