How big was your EE's comb when she started laying?

My first two EE girls began laying about 21-22 weeks if I recall correctly. They aren't the most consistent layers of my bunch of ladies. Some days I get one, or none. Not that often get both of them droppin' one the same day. I have a new girl that's about 17weeks old now, and she's pretty small, so I don't expect her to lay til at least the end of August. Her "sister" ended up being a rooster. I'm hoping the no-crow collar is going to continue to work on him. He's such a cutie... and nearly double her size. If he gets to stay, I could end up with some interesting babies....

You would definitely have a bunch of cute chicks running around from him! I hope my girl will start laying as soon as yours did. Up until I saw her comb reddening I wasn't counting on her to start laying before the rest of my flock but now it seems like it's anybody's guess.

One of my EEs was the first to lay! 21 weeks old! A Buff Orpington also started that day. The other birds (another EE, 2 more BOs, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps) started laying at various times after that. I think they were all laying by 24 weeks, maybe 26 or 28 at the latest, not really sure. They're a year and a half old now, hatched the end of October 2015 and started laying the week before Easter

The red comb is a gopd sign and means she should be laying soon! Dp they squat yet?

My BA's comb is a pretty decent size. Right now she's my guess for who will lay next. What color eggs does yours lay?
Beautiful light green! This is hers next to one from our Black Australorp.
IMG_1291 (1).JPG

My 20 week old EE's comb has gone from practically non existent to a bright red growth in the course of 3 days. All my other girls have huge combs for their breeds and my little EE has been stubbornly holding out (LOL) so I'm a little excited. A few days ago I saw her checking out the nesting boxes, also!

Just curious to see some of y'all's EE laying hens' combs while I obsess over eggs. :wee

This picture was taken Sunday afternoon:
View attachment 1049888

This picture was taken this morning:
View attachment 1049889
What are you feeding them? Did you switch them to layer feed at a young age?

One of my EEs was the first to lay! 21 weeks old! A Buff Orpington also started that day. The other birds (another EE, 2 more BOs, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps) started laying at various times after that. I think they were all laying by 24 weeks, maybe 26 or 28 at the latest, not really sure. They're a year and a half old now, hatched the end of October 2015 and started laying the week before Easter

The red comb is a gopd sign and means she should be laying soon! Dp they squat yet?

The only one that squats is my Leghorn who has been laying for about 2 weeks now. It's hard for me to catch them though to try and see lol.

The only one that squats is my Leghorn who has been laying for about 2 weeks now. It's hard for me to catch them though to try and see lol.

Ahh okay. Then it might be a little bit longer. Usually when they squat they're getting really close. Mine would just freeze and squat right there, stopped running lol i just put my hand over their backs

But of course now almost none of mine squat anymore haha guess they realized I'm not a rooster :lau

None of my hens ever squatted. 2 of mine just started laying. (I have a all age flock). They would never dust bath. Then out of the blue they started bathing. Week later, eggs. Lol

Back
Top Bottom