How big was your EE's comb when she started laying?

misskes

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2017
My 20 week old EE's comb has gone from practically non existent to a bright red growth in the course of 3 days. All my other girls have huge combs for their breeds and my little EE has been stubbornly holding out (LOL) so I'm a little excited. A few days ago I saw her checking out the nesting boxes, also!

Just curious to see some of y'all's EE laying hens' combs while I obsess over eggs. :wee

This picture was taken Sunday afternoon:
IMG_0684.PNG

This picture was taken this morning:
IMG_0680.JPG

EE usually have pea combs, and they don't get "big".
From the look of her comb she is close if not ready to be laying.

EE usually have pea combs, and they don't get "big".
From the look of her comb she is close if not ready to be laying.

True; I meant big more as a figure of speech. I really hope she'll be laying soon. I only have one that is and the wait for the rest of them is driving me crazy lol

Took our EE forever to lay! Hatched June 15 and didn't start laying till January 21st! Over 31 weeks old! Our Black Australorp started laying at 23 weeks and our Buff Orpiington at 26 weeks.

Took our EE forever to lay! Hatched June 15 and didn't start laying till January 21st! Over 31 weeks old! Our Black Australorp started laying at 23 weeks and our Buff Orpiington at 26 weeks.

Oh my gosh! I think I'll go crazy if I have to wait that long lol. I also have a Black Australorp and a Buff Orpington. Hopefully they'll be laying soon as well.

Here's my olive egger that started laying a few weeks ago (around 28 weeks maybe? I've lost track now hehe). I knew this photobomb pic would come in handy at some point!:yesss:

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 7
Here's my olive egger that started laying a few weeks ago (around 28 weeks maybe? I've lost track now hehe). I knew this photobomb pic would come in handy at some point!:yesss:

She's got a nice size comb! My girl is only at 20 weeks now -- I sure hope I don't have to wait another 8 weeks. :fl

Oh my gosh! I think I'll go crazy if I have to wait that long lol. I also have a Black Australorp and a Buff Orpington. Hopefully they'll be laying soon as well.

Mine were hatched in June- I read some about late spring hatches and starting to lay later due to shorter days in the fall. Was pleased that our BA started laying in November- and was very consistent - 6 to 8 eggs in a row and then a day off. Hang in there- betting yours will lay sooner than mine did!

My first two EE girls began laying about 21-22 weeks if I recall correctly. They aren't the most consistent layers of my bunch of ladies. Some days I get one, or none. Not that often get both of them droppin' one the same day. I have a new girl that's about 17weeks old now, and she's pretty small, so I don't expect her to lay til at least the end of August. Her "sister" ended up being a rooster. I'm hoping the no-crow collar is going to continue to work on him. He's such a cutie... and nearly double her size. If he gets to stay, I could end up with some interesting babies....

Mine were hatched in June- I read some about late spring hatches and starting to lay later due to shorter days in the fall. Was pleased that our BA started laying in November- and was very consistent - 6 to 8 eggs in a row and then a day off. Hang in there- betting yours will lay sooner than mine did!

My BA's comb is a pretty decent size. Right now she's my guess for who will lay next. What color eggs does yours lay?

Back
Top Bottom