1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ok im wondering how big will my new coop have to be for 17 chickens two roos and 15 hens i need like the aprox measurements please if its not to much of a hassle

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Id go with at least an 8x8 or bigger.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:HI there, for every bird you need a minimum of 4 sequer feet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Just about 70 square feet if you look at 4 square foot per bird, which I gathered was the minimum for comfort. So a 8'X9', 10'X7', 5'X12', depending on your building site would be required. Personally I find it easier to construct an even numbered size building, as most sheets of plywood, and lengths of 2"X4", etc., come in even sizes, so 8'X10', or 6'X12' sizes may be preferred.

You may want to keep in mind other factors. If some of the floor space is used up with dropping boards, feeders, waterer's, storage for feed, or litter. you may want to make it slightly larger to allow for them.

If your birds have a large run, and/or free range during the day, you could probably get away with a slightly smaller hen house. Just make sure you have adequate roost space for them all. I find that the birds don't spend a great deal of time in the hen house, once the door to the run is open. At night when they come in, they usually hop up on to the roosts pretty quickly, and don't spend much time on the floor. If you don't have an outside area that is protected from inclement weather, (roof over it), and you leave them inside on rainy days, then more floor space is better then less.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by