How big?

How much space should a coop have? I live in Canada so they would be shut in in the winter with a heat source. But i don't know how big it should be. I think i would get 15 chicks or so.
15 regular size chickens would need 4 sq ft each inside the coop, and 10 sq ft in the run. They would also need 1 foot each on the roosting bar, and minimum 4 nesting boxes (1 for every 4 birds). I would recommend getting a larger coop than you plan on needing, as chicks hatch unexpectedly sometimes, as do unplanned chick impulse purchases at the feed store! 😂 So if you stay with a solid 15, you would need 60 sq ft in the run (6x10 or 5x12 would be the easiest dimensions), 15 feet of roosting bar space, and 150 sq ft in the run. Good luck!

Edited: I have 15 chicks. My coop is 8x12, or 96 sq ft. This was I can add another few chickens next year! (Honestly we are trying to move a second 8x12 coop from another property so we can have quite a few more...chickens are fun, and addicting!)

4 square feet per chicken for the coop and 10 square feet per chicken for the run.
Plan for more than 15 chickens because we all and you will some day suffer from Chicken Math where you just need more chickens (it is like potato chips, you can't just have a few).

The general rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and, IMO, at least 15 sq ft per bird in the run. I would strongly encourage you to build them a run with a solid roof on it so they can be outdoors in the winter. Additionally unless you are in the most bitter areas of Canada you will not need supplemental heat in the winter.
What you will need is a very dry and very well ventilated coop year-round. Do some research on the Woods style coop. If you do not intend to let the birds out at all in the winter in a solid roof run, I strongly suggest you make their coop at 6 sq ft per bird minimum.

15 regular size chickens would need 4 sq ft each inside the coop, and 10 sq ft in the run. They would also need 1 foot each on the roosting bar, and minimum 4 nesting boxes (1 for every 4 birds). I would recommend getting a larger coop than you plan on needing, as chicks hatch unexpectedly sometimes, as do unplanned chick impulse purchases at the feed store! 😂 So if you stay with a solid 15, you would need 60 sq ft in the run (6x10 or 5x12 would be the easiest dimensions), 15 feet of roosting bar space, and 150 sq ft in the run. Good luck!
8ft by 8ft would be easiest since you wouldn't have to cut most of the boards (if you just plan for 15 chickens).

Are they going to be shut inside all winter? Winters are long, especially in Canada. Plan on using the run space recommendations above for the coop instead. So 10 sq. ft. per chicken minimum. Since the coop will practically be their run and their entire living space for the winter. The coop size recommendations assume the chickens will also have a run to spend time in during the day, not be shut inside the coop for months at a time.

Back
Top Bottom