How bright does my light need to be?

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have added a 25w bulb to the coop on a timer to make sure the girls get about 14 hours of light. But is a 25w bulb bright enough?
fl.gif
I wanted them to be comfortable enough to roost, so not too bright, while at the same time I want to make sure they get enough light to keep laying all winter. (Note: Keep them laying once they START laying! LOL!!).
D.gif

Anybody have experience with this that can give me some advice??
hu.gif

Thanks!

I just have mine come on at 6pm (which I'll change as it gets dark earlier) and go off at 10pm. I didn't want to have a light on all day in the coop since there's no need for it during daylight hours. I just don't know if a 25w bulb is bright enough to "trick" the hens into thinking it's still daylight. They come in and roost when it gets dark outside anyway. I was hoping to use a low wattage bulb to save money, but I'll put in a higher wattage if needed.

I read many years ago when I started with chickens, that you need a 40 watt bulb for an 8 by 8 coop. Don't know what others think, but it has worked for me for 17 years.

I use a 75 watt energy saving bulb. I think it only uses 15 watts of power. Right now, it goes off at 8:30pm. I have it hanging in the run right outside a window in the coop. ( 4 x 10 foot run)
My only concern is to see how the bulb works in the winter. I know the older ballast type bulbs did not work well when cold.

My husband bought a couple LED tube lights that didn't work out in my kitchen fixture. They give as much light as a 40 watt bulb in daylight spectrum but they're cool to the touch and use about 10 watts. They're encased in a plastic tube so they can't break. He ordered them from an eBay seller. I'll hang the LED tube inside the roof peak. My coop's about 6'x8'x5' and about 4' off the ground on stilts.

The stupid timer will probably take more energy to run than the LED tube!

Back
Top Bottom