How broody are Orpingtons?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I love everything I’ve heard about Orpingtons. Next year, DS was allowed to pick HIS chick, and he wants a lavender Orpington. ❤️ I really want docile breeds that lay a decent amount of eggs (3-4 per week). How broody are Orpingtons? I could also get Buff, Chocolate, Black or Red. I will keep my promise to DS for his, but would rather not be broody breaking all summer long.

Thanks so much!

Orpingtons as a breed generally are more broody than other common breeds, but my experience (granted with just one hen) was that they aren't so broody that you'd have to break them terribly often, certainly not all summer long, at least if you're going through a hatchery to get them. I've heard that breeder birds can be more broody, especially the bantams, but all my breeder Orps ended up being males so I unfortunately have no firsthand experience with that. Sorry I can't help any more than that, but hopefully someone with more Orp experience will come along to answer your question! :fl

I have a pretty, fluffy Buff Orpington (My PFP is of her as a pullet) who is of pretty good breeding and fits the breed standard in all but mind.
She is a monster.
A vile, evil creation who I have taken to calling The D.A. (The Devil's Anus) for inexplicable reasons. Anyways, I would never trust her around chicks. At 2 years old, she shows ABSOLUTELY ZERO interest in the joys of motherhood, and never has. She is a grumpy, greedy hen who lays a good amount of eggs but doesn't sit on them. She never spends more than 30 minutes in the box.
But hey, I might've just gotten a bad apple.

Which hatchery are you going through? My one Orp hen was a Lavender from Meyer and she was one of my favorite birds. The biggest bird in my main flock, yet the most gentle soul. She loved sitting in laps, but when more than one lap was available, she would sit between instead of on someone so that everyone could pet her. She passed on this year and I miss her a lot. I ended up getting two Blue Orpington pullets from Meyer in July (so they're not old enough to judge on broodiness yet) and they're not quite as friendly as she was, but definitely sweet birds as well. Not sure you could go wrong with any of them (but I'm also not a fan of Buff as a color on chickens so wouldn't get that variety, myself, oops 🤣 ).

Back
Top Bottom