How can 1 rent? - Warning, vent thread

okiron

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I do understand the need for it but how does someone expect the average person/family to have enough money to cover the first and last month's rent along with the deposit?!?!?! Don't get me wrong we're not poor but we're not rich either. It's like I have the choice of being homeless and having money in my savings or having a place to stay but no emergency fund.

And above all that, try finding landlords that would allow chickens lol. I wish we could get a loan and just buy a ranch already.

Don't drink, don't smoke. Eat beans and tortillas, stews etc. Buy in the second hand store as much as possible. Don't drive if you can walk, if you can't walk it, take the bus. Cars suck money from you.

Work, save and invest. In time money earns money. It takes a long time, but eventually it works.

Good luck,

Rufus

Try looking in Norco. Most of it is zoned some sort of Agricultural. Check with the Planning Dept for a map of the areas you can have chickens then start hunting in those areas. They are the next street behind Stater Bros market on HamnerAve... Right by the Senior Ctr, and inside City Hall.

You can look on craiglsist, Pennysaverusa.com, recycler.com for places to rent. Go to Norco, exit Sixth St. and post a dozen flyers at all the tack, feed and vet offices on that street that you are looking. Something will bust loose for you! Hang in there!

I don't know about your area but in NY there are organizations that help people with security deposits and sometimes first and last months rents. Sometimes you have to pay it back, in small increments, sometimes not.

You should see if you can find such an agency in your county. I know that about 15 years ago, before I married my current husband, I needed to use just such a agency. I didn't have to pay it back.

I wanted to add this as well. There was also an agency in NY that helped people purchase a home with only a $500. deposit. My daughter took advantage of this. There were no closing costs, no outrageous fees. It was sponsored through a HUD program.

Look around, you may be surprised at what you find.

Good luck hun, I know its really hard, especially in today's economy.

Laurie

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is where you are, but you could look at your states rental laws and check. It was illegal in a few states where I lived to ask for first,last, and security. They could only ask for two of the three. Which was usually security, and first months rent.

Bluemoon

You can now use the $8,000 first time buyer's tax credit for a downpayment. That law was just passed late last month. You basicly get a bridge loan from the bank to be paid off when you get the credit. You can file an ammended 2008 tax return after purchase to get it ASAP. This is a new policy and banks are working on implementing it, and there are hoops to jump through, but it might be worth researching.

It can be very challenging finding a decent rental that allows pets. Just be patient and take your time (if you can). Sometimes word of mouth will get good results.

Everywhere does first ,last and deposit! Try being a lanlord and have people evicted due to the economy. That covers their 30 days for eviction and any damage. It's very common and i have moved into many apts with that policy. Landlords call it insurance.....

P.s i have lived in PA, CA and FL and all applied to those states

Try gov and non profut organizations that help with deposits!
Good luck

Quote:
well they have in my states! Cause it made me mad~
he.gif
Being a single parent at the time. I asked one if he would like the clothes off my back as well. He didn't rent to me...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom