How can 2 cream legbars make a White legbar??

Where's the part about having a different gene then recessive white?
That states it does have recessive white genes.
Now I'm confused.

It is called a recessive white gene, but what the gene actually does is prevent the expression of color.

it is very similar to the "E" gene in Labradors. It is a recessive gene that does not allow the expression of black in labs. I learned this the hard way when I mated my white lab to a chocolate thinking I would get white or brown pups, but instead got 11 black pups. My Daughter in law was in Pharmacy school at the time and she found the info through her professor in genetics.

I use the term Recessive White myself a lot, but it is technically wrong. Maybe @GaryDean26 or @jerryse can explain it better than I do.

Only if the regular CCL are carrying the recessive white gene.
White X white = 100% white
White X CCL that carry white = 50% white and 50% CCL that carry white.
CCL that carries white X CCL that carries white = 25% white, 25% CCL and 50% CCL that carries white.
Well yeah obviously thats true, but a cream legbar that carries reccesive white looks just like any other cream legbar. So the genotype is homozygous reccesive white. Heterozygous reccesive white, and homozygous for no reccesive white. But the phenotype is only white or regular cream legbar.
Btw reccesive white is just the name of the gene there are a few different genes that also prevent chickens from presenting colours, so it is helpful to have names for the different types.

If it is called "recessive white" I don't see a reason to not call it recessive white.
I assume this conversation would include all "recessive white" varieties in other breeds?
I thought you were suggesting there was a recessive white but white legbars didn't carry it but a whole different gene in their case.
I don't know if it is white covering other color/patterns or if it is stopping the other colors/patterns from being expressed. Or that that matters in what its called.
Not like we can key a bird and see what layers are underneath like you can with paint on a car.
Even if it eliminates color expression instead of covering it why all of a sudden say what has been know as recessive white should now not be referred to as recessive white?

If it is called "recessive white" I don't see a reason to not call it recessive white.
I assume this conversation would include all "recessive white" varieties?
I thought you were suggesting there was a recessive white but white legbars didn't carry it but a whole different gene in their case.
I don't know if it is white covering other color/patterns or if it is stopping the other colors/patterns from being expressed. Or that that matters in what its called.
Not like we can key a bird and see what layers are underneath like you can with paint on a car.
Even if it eliminates color expression instead of covering it why all of a sudden say what has been know as recessive white should now not be referred to as recessive white?

I have changed after I was informed it is the more proper way to say it-----and to be honest----- it makes no difference to the majority of us.

How did they determine it wasn't allowing color instead of covering it?
So your issue is one not saying it eliminates the color or saying it covers it instead of eliminates it?
Not that its being called recessive white?
Or what should we call it if not recessive white?

I have no issue, I was just trying to explain it better and seem to have muddied the waters more instead of clear it up.

A recessive white gene, if I have this right is a gene that actually produces the color "white"...if that is a color.

One that does not allow it to be expressed actually covers the colors up. The difference is in determining future generations. Like with my White Lab. Once I found she could not give me a chocolate pup ever, and that she would give me only white pups with a male dog that had a double "E" gene for not expressing white I made a difference as to who I would mate her with.

Does that make sense?

Well yeah obviously thats true, but a cream legbar that carries reccesive white looks just like any other cream legbar. So the genotype is homozygous reccesive white. Heterozygous reccesive white, and homozygous for no reccesive white. But the phenotype is only white or regular cream legbar.
Btw reccesive white is just the name of the gene there are a few different genes that also prevent chickens from presenting colours, so it is helpful to have names for the different types.
It might not of been obvious to everyone so just wanted to throw that in so no one would be trying to breed a white to regular CCL and be expecting half of the offspring to be white.

It is called a recessive white gene, but what the gene actually does is prevent the expression of color.

it is very similar to the "E" gene in Labradors. It is a recessive gene that does not allow the expression of black in labs. I learned this the hard way when I mated my white lab to a chocolate thinking I would get white or brown pups, but instead got 11 black pups. My Daughter in law was in Pharmacy school at the time and she found the info through her professor in genetics.

I use the term Recessive White myself a lot, but it is technically wrong. Maybe @GaryDean26 or @jerryse can explain it better than I do.

Recessive White is the correct name of the gene. It's genetic symbol is "C". Yes if block pigment from entering the plumage. There is a dominant gene that does the same thing that is called...you guessed it Dominant White with genetic symbol "I".

Back
Top Bottom