How can 3 days be considered express shipping?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by caliclucker, Feb 23, 2012.

1. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I am so upset and confused. How is it that I can order a toaster from Amazon and get one day shipping but live animals that can suffer take 3 days!? I paid over $30 for this so called express shipping. I don't get it. My chicks shipped on the 21st and I still haven't received them. I managed to get a tracking number so I know they are at least in California. But that's all I know. I called the post office to check when they get shipments etc. and the so called supervisor was so unhelpful and rude. It's no wonder they keep losing business. I get so upset thinking about those chicks stuck in a box somewhere. I only ordered 7 so I know they put a warming pack with them but I can't believe it is still providing any warmth. Can someone please talk me off of this ledge because I've been a basket case since Tues.

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    could you offer to drive to pick them up from the post office? I've done that before.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Be prepared for a phone call at 6 am tomorrow morning, when they open.

It is what it is. The PO is slowing down, as this has been all over the news. Expedited has a new meaning, these days. Shipping chicks in winter is tough stuff, but you knew that when you ordered them. Don't be surprised that they include a few cockerels for additional body heat. Chicks are tough. They will be thirsty when they arrive. Dip their beaks into the water. I'm gonna think the best for you.

4. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Hoping they arrive safe...and soon!

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    When I ordered twice last year express shipping took 3 days for them to arrive. I called the post office and told them I was expecting a shipment of chicks and they called early in the morning that they had come it. I think it is best to go pick them up from the post office instead of waiting for them to deliver them. I didn't have any extra chicks, just some heating pads. I ordered in April because it is still pretty cold here in MN for chicks in the winter. Did you chose a hatchery that is relatively close to you? I used Meyer out of OH and I am in MN. For me that is close enough. I hope all your chicks arrive ok.

6. caliclucker

May 1, 2011
    I'm planning on picking them up at the post office but they aren't there yet. They are somewhere in transit between L.A. and Riverside Co. They were shipped from Ohio so I know its a long trip but I've gotton package bees from across the country in a day so this has been surprising. The next time I buy any chicks I'm going to try and find a local breeder. This was my first time ordering so I naively thought it wasn't a big deal. Thanks for the replies, it helps.

7. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    Which hatchery did you order from? I order from Ideal because they are in Texas and that is a lot closer to you then Ohio. They shipped my chicks on a Wednesday and I got them early Friday morning. Be aware that a lot of times the tracking on chicks is no where near current. Mine was never scanned so I had no idea where my chicks were the whole time! :( of course a local breeder would solve all of those problems. Good luck with your chicks!

8. caliclucker

May 1, 2011
    Well they finally arrived this morning at 6:30. Two out of the seven I ordered were dead and one was barely clinging to life. The hot pack they supplied was of course stone cold as would be expected after 3 days. I honestly don't know how they expect chicks to survive without warmth. Four chicks seem to be OK so far. I gave them all some water with sugar and some egg yolk. I finally got the lethargic one to eat a little. He perked up a bit but is still not out of the woods. I am never ordering through the mail again unless these hatcheries change shipping companies. Fed ex or UPS would have them delivered overnight. The post office sucks. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice.

9. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    fedex and UPS will not except live animals ....and Fedex would be slower as they are part of USPS.. I just received a fedex package from kansas just 1 state away took 10 days was bounced back and forth from Fedex sort facilities and USPS sort facilities and finally delivered by my post office.

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Awww. I'm sorry you had such a rough go. Are there any local breeders near you? Or feed stores? Ideal is within driving distance from us so we have never dealt with this kind of thing but there has to be something near you?
    Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by