How can I estimate how many eggs my chickens will lay?

phoenixc

Hatching
Apr 12, 2015
Sorry for the super newbie question, but i need some help please!

I have been searching chicken breeds, but the more i research, the more confused I get.

I have been looking at primarily New Hampshire Reds and/or Speckled Sussex. I want to figure out how many chicks to order, but every website and hatchery has vastly different estimates rates of lay.

I've seen NH's rated as everything from "fair" to "good" to "excellent"as egg layers and numbers ranging from 200-240/yr to 180-220/yr to 220-280/yr

I understand each hen is unique and diet, strain, and environment are factors, but the ranges can't really be 180-280 can they? how do i determine how many hens i will actually need?

thanks in advance!

Unfortunately that can often be the case. It really depends on the bloodlines and who and why they are being bred. Show lines often are poor layers, and most hatchery birds lay better but aren't often correct in color and type.

My experiences with speckled Sussex was about 3-4 eggs a week. New Hampshire I haven't owned get but I believe they lay average about 3-5 eggs a week. Both are considered dual purpose, for eggs and meat. If it's eggs you are after the lighter Mediterranean breeds or sex links. Lighter egg laying breeds tend to be flighty though.

Perhaps if you said what you are wanting out of your chickens, eggs, meat, pets? I and others could direct you to what may fit your needs. I like all chickens and enjoy trying breeds out.

Unfortunately that can often be the case. It really depends on the bloodlines and who and why they are being bred. Show lines often are poor layers, and most hatchery birds lay better but aren't often correct in color and type.

My experiences with speckled Sussex was about 3-4 eggs a week. New Hampshire I haven't owned get but I believe they lay average about 3-5 eggs a week. Both are considered dual purpose, for eggs and meat. If it's eggs you are after the lighter Mediterranean breeds or sex links. Lighter egg laying breeds tend to be flighty though.

Perhaps if you said what you are wanting out of your chickens, eggs, meat, pets? I and others could direct you to what may fit your needs. I like all chickens and enjoy trying breeds out.
I want dual purpose birds for a backyard flock, so eggs and meat. I was looking at sussex and NH in particular because i live in the upper midwest and they're supposed to be good cold winter layers. And hopefully a breed that is more on the calm side because there are small children running around.

does that help?

Then they are good birds for what you are looking for. Other breeds like Orpingtons and Australorp are other great breeds. My Sussex never laid very well, and I've heard that the New Hampshire are good all around chickens. Maybe others have had better luck with the Sussex.

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of chicken keeping, be careful it's addictive.
1f600.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom