How can I find a butcher?

Zack717

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
Hello all- My wife and I are considering getting 25-50 meat birds. The only problem is I don't think I can kill and pluck them. Is there any place to look to find a mobile butcher/plucker? Is this a service that even exists? I live in the Portland/Vancouver area any help is greatly appreciated!

It's not that hard to process them. Just a little messy and you do need some equipment.
I'm sure you've read all about it here.

Here's a video we made at our coop building party, PC explains a lot in it, and it's short but very educational. It's not graphic at all, I suggest you take a look, you can learn a lot!

Up here the local butcher will process whatever you bring him. You can actually bring him all of your live poultry, and come back later to pick up grocery store looking poultry.
big_smile.png
My neighbor did it...loved it!

From what I understand, there aren't any traveling butchers anymore (unless they are working illegally). The meat processing laws are so strict now, it is impossible for the traveling butcher to be to code. They sure were handy though...we used them when I was little.

My advice would be to ask around. Do you know any farmers or ranchers? You might find someone who would be happy to do it for you.

And I totally understand wanting someone else to do it, especially if you have 50 to do.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just don't think I could do it:( I'm going to be calling Harrington's tomorrow. For me it's just easier to not do it.

Back
Top Bottom