How can I find a butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Zack717, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Zack717

Zack717 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Hello all- My wife and I are considering getting 25-50 meat birds. The only problem is I don't think I can kill and pluck them. Is there any place to look to find a mobile butcher/plucker? Is this a service that even exists? I live in the Portland/Vancouver area any help is greatly appreciated!

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    What is the reason you don't think you can process them yourself? It's fairly easy.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Look no farther than the end of your arms. You can do it. You really can.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's not that hard to process them. Just a little messy and you do need some equipment.
    I'm sure you've read all about it here.

5. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Here's a video we made at our coop building party, PC explains a lot in it, and it's short but very educational. It's not graphic at all, I suggest you take a look, you can learn a lot!

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Up here the local butcher will process whatever you bring him. You can actually bring him all of your live poultry, and come back later to pick up grocery store looking poultry. [​IMG] My neighbor did it...loved it!

From what I understand, there aren't any traveling butchers anymore (unless they are working illegally). The meat processing laws are so strict now, it is impossible for the traveling butcher to be to code. They sure were handy though...we used them when I was little.

My advice would be to ask around. Do you know any farmers or ranchers? You might find someone who would be happy to do it for you.

And I totally understand wanting someone else to do it, especially if you have 50 to do.

7. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    ask your feedstore guy. he may know of a processor.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  9. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    u can do it yourself just gotta get over it the first time or two i guess im glad i never knew the difference and was taught from an early age to buthcher

10. Zack717

Zack717 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just don't think I could do it:( I'm going to be calling Harrington's tomorrow. For me it's just easier to not do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by