How can I find a butcher?

Quote:
That is fantastic. I don't think I could do it, either, but I have started seriously considering it.

I do wish I could find someone to do it for me, though...or raise the roos and go in with someone that could butcher them and take half or whatever. Yup! I wish!

Maybe one day when we move to NC....

tongue.png

Man, you'd have quite a business going on, let me tell you! I posted on my group asking for someone...didn't find anyone, instead people e-mailing privately saying "I don't know, but I'm looking for the same so let me know!" hehe

We were supposed to have a poultry processing plant opening here in Marion, but I googled and couldn't find any more about it.

Quote:
asher me and my partner will be starting to process our own birds the 16th of next month and when we are not processing our birds we will do other peoples birds for them .

Ah cool! I'm afraid you're quite a drive from me, but I'm sure if you advertise, you'll get quite a few people using you!

I have been thinking of raising meat birds too. Also rabbits. But the thought of processing them myself just turns my stomach. I can barely even handle fresh meat in the kitchen, and almost always only cook whole animals--a roast turkey is as high up the food chain as it gets in our house! There's just something about the textures, smells, and chopping that is very difficult for me. I can understand not being able to process your own birds.

i still don't know if i could process one from the start. i can handle them fine once they're cleaned. it wasn't that hard watching the process either. i actually thought it would be harder. but i do know this. it was totally worth the $30 to get those 10 birds processed by these guys. the place was so clean, they did it very professionally and those 50 birds total that were done, were done in about an hour or maybe even less. they cut them up for free, if you wanted, separated the liver, heart, gizzards, legs, etc. packed them in ice. i'm glad there are such places that process chickens and i'm glad i was able to contribute to it.
wink.png

since i plan on selling my next batch of birds, i plan on using the processor again. i feel safer that way. i just don't want to practice on other peoples birds. LOLOLOL

Back
Top Bottom