How can I find the medication mg strength, it says “1%”

Serenity Sav

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Albuquerque
Hi, I’m treating a bird for aspergillosis, and one of the effective treatment options involves terbinafine cream administered orally (10-15mg/kg).
I have terbinafine hydrochloride cream, but it just says 1%, I can find it’s strength measured in mg anywhere.
Can someone help me learn how to determine mg strength in the cream?

With it being a creme, that would mean 10 mg of Terbinafine Hydrochloride per gram of creme. If it were a liquid, that would mean 10 mg/ml.

Can you list the source of the information that gives terninafine cream or Lamisil as a treatment for aspergillosis. Unfortunately aspergillosis would require IV drugs such as amphotericyn B which is not going to be an option in a chicken. I saw terfinamine listed in a Poutry DVM article, but that website is a little iffy on how accurate some of their information can be. Some of what they publish is okay, but some of their articles are not accurate. Normally for a chicken to have aspergillosis (and actually diagnosed,) there is no practical treatment. It is caused by mold fungus and can spread from the airway to various parts of the body. The treatment is usually removal of the mold source. What are the symptoms that you have been seeing? Here is a good source of information about aspergillosis:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/aspergillosis/aspergillosis-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom