How can I get a field mouse out of the chickens run?

Poodles have a high prey drive and if you took that hay bale out and had your poodles with you I believe they would go after it and try and kill the mouse, or at least mine did. Why is it bad for them to eat the mouse? It's the natural cycle of life, your chickens are omnivores. If one of your chickens would eat it, Im willing to bet that mouse has already been attacked or will be, if one chicken sees it, they are all bound to.
We have a toy poodle and no doubt he would go after it but he also thinks hes tough until he comes up to anything haha. And I thought the mouse could get them sick? Well either way we tore up his hiding spots and he leobally made a tunnel under the hay and straw. Were going to be setting a live mouse trap tomrrow cause we dont want to kill him but take him far far away.

We have a toy poodle and no doubt he would go after it but he also thinks hes tough until he comes up to anything haha. And I thought the mouse could get them sick? Well either way we tore up his hiding spots and he leobally made a tunnel under the hay and straw. Were going to be setting a live mouse trap tomrrow cause we dont want to kill him but take him far far away.
Everything can get them sick, but animals survived before our intervention just fine, I’ve never had my birds get sick from a mouse. If you’re set on keeping him alive, I’d say take em to a field if you live out in the country

We set up a live mouse trap today. Were going to find a place far away from our coop. The chickens on the other hand knew something was off and wouldnt go near we he was seen. Haha

I never had a mouse issue but did have a rat infestation. Usually if you see one there are more around. Good luck...

I never had a mouse issue but did have a rat infestation. Usually if you see one there are more around. Good luck...
It's been 2 days and he hasn't gone into the trap yet. I guess he doesn't like peanut butter. Were thinking he moved because we tore up his 'home" well when spring hits were cleaning out all that hay and straw so. My Rooster has been investigating his "home" area a lot. LOL

It kind of touches me that your little silkie wanted to inform you there was something wrong in the coop ❤ Especially since you wrote she is the smallest.
Try a piece of chocolate (milk chocolate) as bait in the live mouse trap. If you catch the mouse be sure to carry it really FAR away, otherwise it will definitely come back.

...I'm surprised, too, that none of your bigger chickens took that opportunity of a very fresh protein snack! Our neighbours chickens eat every mouse they can get hold of. We once saw a fresh mouse hole in their run, only two days later it was no more clearly visible - a clear sign the builder had been eaten.

When I moved into this house, I discovered an overabundance of mice were living here. I taught my birds to hunt them for me by first snap-trapping the mice overnight and feeding them out fresh in the mornings to my flock. Mice quickly became extinct on this property as after a few days of this, my feathered family decided they didn't want to wait for breakfast anymore and started doing all the work. Nothing wrong with feeding mice to your birds, it's the natural order of things.

It kind of touches me that your little silkie wanted to inform you there was something wrong in the coop ❤ Especially since you wrote she is the smallest.
Try a piece of chocolate (milk chocolate) as bait in the live mouse trap. If you catch the mouse be sure to carry it really FAR away, otherwise it will definitely come back.

...I'm surprised, too, that none of your bigger chickens took that opportunity of a very fresh protein snack! Our neighbour's chickens eat every mouse they can get hold of. We once saw a fresh mouse hole in their run, only two days later it was no more clearly visible - a clear sign the builder had been eaten.
oh yes, my silkie loves other creatures. The whole flock made friends with a wild bird and the bird came back every day and waited for me to let them out. My BO and her played "tag". She took the leftover treats back to her babies. My silkie didn't mind that there was a squirrel in the coop either. She was just mesmerized by it and was the closest. She also had a starring contest with a chipmunk. And I'm surprised too that my Rooster didn't see the mouse. He acts tough and he is it's just he's the first one to chicken out if something that small comes running at him. HAHA, he fell asleep n my lap this morning.

When I moved into this house, I discovered an overabundance of mice were living here. I taught my birds to hunt them for me by first snap-trapping the mice overnight and feeding them out fresh in the mornings to my flock. Mice quickly became extinct on this property as after a few days of this, my feathered family decided they didn't want to wait for breakfast anymore and started doing all the work. Nothing wrong with feeding mice to your birds, it's the natural order of things.

Good idea! I have some clever rodents that stay out of the run during daylight hours and come visit at night leaving only tunnels and poop to torment me. My chickens would happily eat them if they came in during the day.

Back
Top Bottom