How Can I Get A Hen UN Broody?

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
I have never been unsuccessful in 'breaking' a broody.

This year is different.

I have put the hen in a dog cage without a pan in the bottom... no water or food for a few days...
she still wants to set.

I have dunked her in water
and she still wants to set.

She has been in that cage for over 2 weeks. I let her out every few days to eat and drink.

Tonight I hung the cage from a rafter so it can swing.....I have heard that is unsettling to a broody hen...

If that doesnt work... what tricks do you use to change the mind of a broody hen?

This year is different.

I have put the hen in a dog cage without a pan in the bottom... no water or food for a few days...
she still wants to set.

She has been in that cage for over 2 weeks. I let her out every few days to eat and drink.

Tonight I hung the cage from a rafter so it can swing.....I have heard that is unsettling to a broody hen...

If that doesnt work... what tricks do you use to change the mind of a broody hen?

Some hens are quite determined to be broody and the only way I have had success is to just let them go through the broody phase
idunno.gif
They go into it naturally and end it naturally. I am not sure I would not provide food or water, especially with the warm weather but that is just my opinion and I am be NO means an expert at this...LOL
tongue.png
Hopefully someone else can provide some insight. What breed is she? mine are cochins and silikies...VERY broody breeds for sure!

I'm no expert either, but I have one whose broody now and I get her off the nest to eat and drink. No food or water is a bad idea. I don't think dunking in water is a good idea. Just let her be and make sure she gets some nourishment and water and if she's in the coop make sure she's got good ventilation and that it doesn't get too hot.

We had our first broody experience last week. Once we realized what was going on we would try to move her multiple times/day and then taking her out of the coop but leaving the others in. She would just find a spot under the coop and lay there. After 3 days or so we put her in a large dog kennel with food and water and raised it about 2 inches off the ground. We left her in there around 48 hours, I gave her a few extra treats to get her distracted and make sure she ate. When we let her out she joined the rest of the girls and has been good ever since. I'm wondering how long it will take till she lays again, but hopefully soon!

This year is different.

she still wants to set.

No food and water is cruel IMO.
They should have at least water available at all times when in the cage.

Was the crate up off the floor by a good 4-6"?
That is essential.
Take the pan out, but put smaller wire on the bottom so they can stand.

I let them out at at least once a day to go outside and mingle with the flock and dust bathe, when they head back to the nest, back in the crate.
One fine day they will stay out of the nest and go to roost with the flock again.

The hen is a cochin banty.

Don't worry folks...when the temps are warmer she has access to a pan of water.

I have the cage hanging about 2 feet off the ground. Several times today I when I was in the building, I would step inside the pen...and give the cage a push so it would swing.

She is still wanting to be a mother.

The main reason I am trying to get her out of the broodiness is because a hen can drop a lot of weight when setting. I have had hens die on the nest because they refuse to get off the nest to eat and drink.

She has been broody for close to 3 weeks... maybe longer.

It is time for her to stop!!

We have had hens go broody for 12 weeks or more. Now mind you, they would still eat and drink and would seem to have "off days" when they would sit in the nest box, but then they would go back at it. They never lost much weight. But for the most part, for over 3 months, they would be sitting in the nest box. We didn't try to break them of it other than removing them from the box and putting them outside with the rest of the chickens, and we only did this when we were around to do so. If we left the coop open (which we usually did), they would usually head back into the nest boxes pretty quickly. Occasionally they would just sit on the ground.

This is what I use to break my broody cochins,, which are notorious for going broody. We call it the "cluck house". Use a small coop that will isolate them from the rest of the flock, an old doghouse works great. Provide a roost and you may have to ventilate it by cutting out several holes about 2" in diameter but high enough that the hen can't see out. Light the interior, the brighter the better. A trouble light will work,, it doesn't have to be fancy. Provide food and water, but boost the protein level of the feed to get her laying system kick-started,, mixing in cat or kitten food works great. Keep your broody hen in isolation with light ON for 3 FULL days and that will pretty much break even the most bull headed broody.

Last edited:
Why do people go to such extreme measures, IMO even to the point of traumatizing the hen, to break her broodiness? Is it the loss of egg production for those who sell their eggs, or is there another reason?

This is what I use to break my broody cochins,, which are notorious for going broody. We call it the "cluck house". Use a small coop that will isolate them from the rest of the flock, an old doghouse works great. Provide a roost and you may have to ventilate it by cutting out several holes about 2" in diameter but high enough that the hen can't see out. Light the interior, the brighter the better. A trouble light will work,, it doesn't have to be fancy. Provide food and water, but boost the protein level of the feed to get her laying system kick-started,, mixing in cat or kitten food works great. Keep your broody hen in isolation with light ON for 3 FULL days and that will pretty much break even the most bull headed broody.
I have never thought of a continuous light! That would certainly take away that cozy and calm atmosphere (if that is a good way to explain it lol)

3 days huh? It is worth a try

Back
Top Bottom