How Can I Get A Hen UN Broody?

I have a broody hen as well. I have not tried that much to un-broody-ify (hey I just invented a new word!
tongue.png
)her, at first because I thought she could mother my spring chicks, which didn't work out well. I got her off the nest for a while by giving her extra room to roam. I make sure she has food and water(my hens don't lay in nesting boxes) and she's such a grumpy bird I let her be. For all that sitting, she doesn't lay much and it makes no difference whether or not there is an egg under her. I don't blame her for being this way; my other hens pick on her.

If you google for scientific studies on broodiness, there are 2 studies that I find interesting. ( sorry, didn't keep the links).

Broodiness is caused by increased Prolactin hormones, there are numerous studies that prove this.

One study on chickens showed that depriving them of nest access for 48-72 hours resulted in a significant drop in PL, ending the broody phase. IMO this explains how a broody box works.

Another study was on Turkeys and likely applies to chickens as well. When broody poultry were moved from a darkened nest to lighter surroundings, the PL level dropped significantly, again reducing the PL levels. An argument for increasing the light in the nest areas.

Others have shown tactile stimuli - like eggs, fake eggs, or chicks under a hen increase PL levels. So collect eggs regularly, avoid fake eggs in nests of laying hens, and avoid picking up or handling the broody breeds.

** I have a BO who goes broody often, but in the past never over a couple of weeks. But this time, she has been sitting a month. Today, I removed the nest curtains, left the coop door open to let in more light and SHE CAME OUT and has been with the flock for hours. Wish I had researched a little deeper in the past.

If you google for scientific studies on broodiness, there are 2 studies that I find interesting. ( sorry, didn't keep the links).

Broodiness is caused by increased Prolactin hormones, there are numerous studies that prove this.

One study on chickens showed that depriving them of nest access for 48-72 hours resulted in a significant drop in PL, ending the broody phase. IMO this explains how a broody box works.

Another study was on Turkeys and likely applies to chickens as well. When broody poultry were moved from a darkened nest to lighter surroundings, the PL level dropped significantly, again reducing the PL levels. An argument for increasing the light in the nest areas.

Others have shown tactile stimuli - like eggs, fake eggs, or chicks under a hen increase PL levels. So collect eggs regularly, avoid fake eggs in nests of laying hens, and avoid picking up or handling the broody breeds.

** I have a BO who goes broody often, but in the past never over a couple of weeks. But this time, she has been sitting a month. Today, I removed the nest curtains, left the coop door open to let in more light and SHE CAME OUT and has been with the flock for hours. Wish I had researched a little deeper in the past.
Maybe you can use your web history list to find links?

Excellent info! That helps explain what is going on. Thank you @sunflour , good job!
thumbsup.gif

I did succeed breaking my broody hen in less than a week but In addition to her not sitting I believe she went through the whole episode. She was been withdrawn to stay by herself and now she is even having a broody molt! I really think I broke her spirit as well ... Next time I'm gonna let her hatch a few
1f622.png

Hopefully you can break you broody soon!

I had my first hen go broody about 3 weeks ago, it being Summer I let her stay on the nest with eggs under her. We marked the original 5 eggs, so I would take anything else out but leave the marked 5, she would let me reach under her and take out what I wanted. I went out today and I have a little chick following her around. It was great thing for the kids to see. The only downside is she is very aggressive toward the other chickens (5 hens) and even to me. If you go any where near her and the chick she attacks like a rooster! She refused to go back in the coop tonight also, she made a little nest like for a dirt bath and the chick crawled underneath her and they are spending the night outside. Is this aggressive protection of the chick normal or part of the broody phase? Tomorrow her and the chick will be separated from the flock with their own little coop so at least they will be inside, there will be a wall of chicken wire separating the 2 areas so the the chick can see the others and they can "it".

To the cooling methods.... the dumping into water is something you should not do, if not b/c you want avoid a hefty fine or jail in my country i.e.,.. yes it is mentioned in a animal welfare guide as a abusive technic that will be persecuted by law.... the bird can get ill. Like people that get cooled oft to quick it can cause everything between a diarrhea, a cold and a circulatory collapse.
So even cooling the hen down in a more gentle way can cause problems. Think of the big birds like brahmas, they are known to have circulatory problems when stressed.

and @ critterkeeper25 : I know that there are big cultural differences and some very bad traditions even in the more developed sociaties when it comes to livestock keeping. As I said, we had this problem with pets, too and the only way to keep people from doing it is a big Do NOT! And the reactions are cultural too... in some countries you can bomb the city centers and still people will finde ways to exuse your behavior, but you are catched by CCTV dumping a kitty into a bin and you will need police protection b/c a lynch mob show up in front of your house..

I have two brooders, I give my girls a treat every night just a piece of bread that I squish and break up and then I gave pieces to the girls in the nest. in a few days they started coming out for the treats but they are back in in the morning. They move around so I am sure that they are coming out to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom