How can I get my chickens to like me again??

Forgot to say... Your nice hen who doesn't mind being held is being watched by the others, so you can use her as an example, and a teacher. Chances are it's working that way whether you're doing it deliberately or not. I found, after years of getting in basically wild chickens and taming them, that having tame chooks act as an example is at least half the job done. They don't need a predator to attack them to learn that such an animal kills chickens, they learn after watching it kill other chooks. The same premise works here. If they're not seeing you harming them, they will come to view you as a non-threat. For this reason it's important for them all, not just the ones you're handling at the time, that you ensure they don't struggle as you release them.

I had some hens once, two years old when I got them, which had come from some extremely traumatic conditions, and were terrified of humans beyond the point of retaining any sense of self preservation in their attempts to escape the human touch. You couldn't walk within 20 feet of their cage before they were screaming and smashing themselves into the walls. I've never seen chooks so scared before or since. I let them take their time to come to know people, expecting they'd take longer due to their history and age, but as I've since seen happen many times, they observed the social situation and took it in their stride. They changed and trusted people because the other chooks did. Animals are generally very good at reading intention.

Another thing that can help is touching them on the perch at night, and talking to them while you do. Depends on the chooks though, some chooks are very anti-touch at night and will lash out at anything that moves. Not too smart, those ones. Most will recognize you just fine though. I routinely check my chooks at night, partly due to pythons and partly to keep an easy eye on condition. I check their weight by touch, pet them, sometimes check abdomens and crops, stuff like that. It helps.

Given time to observe a good social situation before engaging, many chickens will adapt their own behaviors to it, in my experience. I'd make your nice hen a real star pupil if I were you, if they're watching chances are they're learning. It can take months before they act on it though. Not all are like that, not all will learn, but most will.

It's also possible/probable that your hens just need more time. As everyone's noted, plenty of hens do become spackier around point of lay or early adult life, most animals do. Overdose of hormones and instincts yelling at them does that. :)

Best wishes.

I wouldn't trust any breed reviews, you find whatever is said to be true for a breed is true for at least one family line of any other breed too, as well as untrue of many family lines of the breed it's supposed to be true for.

My Buff Orps were not snuggly at all. Nice type though.

Breed reviews and standards actually only apply to a minor percentage of the breed's family lines in my experience, since many people ignore temperament to pursue type, or ignore dual purpose traits to pursue monopurpose... Stuff like that.

About the only time you can trust a breed review is when you're getting birds from a serious breeder who knows what they're doing and has successfully kept their birds at the standards of type and temperament the breed is supposed to have. Such breeders are not as common as one would like.

Best wishes.

Great advice from everyone above!

I thought mine didn't like me either when they were around that age and found all of the above advice applied. It took me a month or so to realize they prefer me sitting on the ground with them like I did when they were babies. We've slowly moved up to sitting in a chair, but they still prefer me sitting on the ground. It may be the height. My Katy Pecky hesitates to jump more than several inches, so she walks down my arm from her reserved place on my shoulder. They'll only snuggle outside the run if they're very sleepy. There are so many distractions outside the run that they're not very interested in me. When I'm sitting in there with them, I'm the center of attention. :) I've found ignoring them while I sit there also helps. They're very curious.

I also find hens can be real individuals, today for example my Gingerbeast needed a bath as she'd sat on one of the other girls eggs and broke it under her fat tum so was covered in gooey eggy mess. she behaved wonderfully during her wash and dry but for the rest of the day kept her distance from me, I think she was convinced I lifted her into the sink again! My Betsy on the other hand was so jealous that she followed me up to the office when I had to go to work and wouldn't shut up crying for attention until Id put her on my knee and cuddled her for a whole hour. While wee Naomi seemed totally uninterested by the lot and went outside to peck some grass instead.

ha ha thanks. well she is ginger coloured and a great big fluffy beast of a bird. Love her to bits.

The lady who originally rescued my hens from a city park and nursed the one with a dog bite back to health had them very tame because she treated them all the time. I don't do that because they are free range and I don't particularly want them pestering me all the time anyway. I use an automatic feeder too so they really don't need me however I noticed something interesting today. The feeder has been empty since yesterday afternoon so this morning when I went out to do the chores all three barred rock hens came running to me :) I thought that was pretty cool and threw out some scratch for their effort.

lol, they certainly know what side their bread's buttered on. Or, at least, understand sufficient to know who fills the feeder. They can be quite clever animals.

Back
Top Bottom