How Can I get my Silkies White!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by feather leg farms, Oct 31, 2010.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I had a poultry show yesterday, and the judge said he would've picked mine to be the best, but they were a bit dingy on their top knots(not white enough). How can I get them very white!
    I won with my black hen, Best of Breed, Best Varity and 3rd best of all juniors, there were 100+ jr birds. So I still did pretty nice.

2. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Anyone?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't use bleach... I'm just sayin'.... [​IMG]

4. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I know!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Congrats on your wins!

I think I read somewhere that people use Tide with Bleach Alternative, also Shout to get the stains out.

I need to keep an eye on this thread. Ended up with a trio of white silkies this year. Hatched them out from eggs.

6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Wash your bird before the show with a little Laundry bluing. You have to be very carful as for to much bluing with cause you to end up with a blue chicken. I would get your formula right before your wash you chicken before the show.

7. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Try using a Tide To Go stick. It is used on white silkie foot and leg feathers before shows, should also work on their top knots.[​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What kind of feed are you giving them? I remember hearing that feed with too much corn or marigold extract can actually turn the feathers yellow.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I use shampoo for white dogs. you have to be careful because it will turn them blue but I wet them down, put the shampoo in water and lather THEN put it on the bird. make sure to rinse well

10. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We used Quic Silver and it got her body white. I think the yellow is where the sun colored it! We've tried almost everything!!!!! ahhhhhh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by