How Can I Get Rid Of Roaches?

Hi,,,I am new here, but I own a licensed pest control company,,,,seven will work, just use dust, and inject it into the cracks where the roaches are, also you can use the over the counter gels,,,,put small dots in the cracks where the roaches are, dots the size of half of a pea, it's a low impact pesticide , that has secondary and terciary effectiveness, it works as a general toxicant and and not a neurotoxin,,,,MAx-force? Is the pro trade name. I WOULD NOT USE DIATOMACOUS EARTH. it works as a desiccant, it a braids the roaches shell and causes death in that way, it would also a braid the chickens feet and skin,,,,,you canpm me with any technical questions,,,but the gel would be my choice, and will take about 10 -20 days to work

Joe

Quote:
Mix equal parts of baking soda, sugar and water. Use the paste as a bait around the areas that roaches typically make their home.
The baking soda will kill the roaches that eat it, and stick to their feet so it's carried back to the nest, where the others will eat it and die.
Roaches won’t be able to resist the sugar, while the baking soda reacts with their acidic digestive systems, which proves to be fatal to the critters.

Quote:
As with the Borax, I would keep both out of reach of the chicken.

Also a tip -
Mix Borax 50/50 with sugar it will work better.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris! I'll be trying this one tomorrow in my 3 outdoor coops.

DE is Diatomaceous Earth. I alternate using DE and Sevin dust in my coops under the shavings to keep mites, lice and other parasitic bugs away from the chickens. I haven't had mites in recent memory so it must be working. Unfortunately, it hasn't done much to the roach population so I'll be trying the baking soda/sugar paste to see if I can make some progress.

Joe, I also bought a clear gel by Hot Shot, active ingredient : dinotefuran. Do you know anything about that one? I want to try this inside my bird room around the sliding glass door and baseboards where they are coming in from outdoors.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I read something that may help you with cockroaches. It works on fire ants. Try putting a dish of food for the cockroaches on the floor, make a big circle around it with DE, the bugs will have to cross the DE barrier to get to the food. Cockroaches can take up to 45 minutes to expire, so they may go back into the walls or wherever they live before dying but this doesn't mean it isn't working. This may have to be repeated several times to get them all but keep it up. This is a totally non toxic way to rid yourself of these nasty things.

In case you don't understand how the DE works, it gets on joints and around bug shells. The friction of movement makes the DE penetrate the shells and causes the fluid to escape and the bug dehydrates and dies. It is not a danger to you or your chickens or any thing, except bugs and fish.

There were several articles written about DE and published in the HOME GARDENER several years ago. Very interesting information.

Good luck!

DE does NOT kill fire ants. If it kills yours, you must have some wimpy ants!! DE does not work on palmetto bugs either (American cockroach).

I suspect you have ASIAN roaches that live outside mostly and come in when opportunity arises. Germans live mostly indoors in filth.

I have sucessfully used Demon WP for all types of roaches. Works on spiders too along with just about all bugs. It is permethrin based. You spray the perimeter and it leaves a residual and is safe around people and animals once it dries. My chickens have eaten the dead bugs from it and are fine.

Here is MSDS link. http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/research/institutes-and-programs/ccm/documents/msds/Demon.pdf

Quote:
Boric acid is very safe and effective around the chickens. If you don't feel comfortable with this, DE will also work, just takes a little longer.
The only thing I don't like about boric acid is that tiny amounts are toxic to the garden so if you use your bedding for the garden, you have to be very careful with it. You can still dust the corners very lightly with it, than generously sprinkle DE everywhere.

Isn't DE Diatomacious Earth? We use to use it in our garden to kill off the slugs. It's an all natural substance-kind of powdery and made from the shells of sea animals. I believe that it works by puncturing the soft underbelly or shell of the insect causing it to dehydrate. I would assume it's safe for chickens to eat, and probably has calcium in it (BUT don't quote me on it).

Hi, I'm new here but from what I understand there are two different kinds of DE. The food grade DE is safe for chickens, the other kind is not. There was another thread somewhere that talked alot about this. Like I said, I'm new so please double check this.

Well, I have successfully made a "Redneck Roach Trap" that is completely safe. I have Cockatoos (3) and an Eclectus indoors and the roaches have been coming into their room from the deck outdoors. Needless to say, I can't use any poison around them, particularly one with any breathable vapor. So, I took a white (I tried a clear one and it didn't work) corning ware dish with flat bottom and straight sides, liberally smeared vegetable oil on all interior sides, put pieces of banana in the bottom and set it on the floor in front of the cages. The next morning it is completely full of bugs that cannot climb up the sides and escape. The garbage disposal does the rest.

Now that I know what works indoors, I am rigging up a container that hangs on the wall of the coop to do the same trick. I don't want the chickens to be able to reach it, and the bugs nest behind wood up near the roof and come down at dusk. Once my chickens start looking for a place to sleep, they're useless in catching the early roaches, so I'll just have to take care of them myself. No, I don't mean eat them. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'll let you know if the coop trap is as successful as the indoor one. I know it's not a permanent solution, but it wipes out a very large number of them every night and I feel like I'm winning.

I envy people who have a REAL life.

Back
Top Bottom