How can I identify egg layer?

gessieviolet

Songster
12 Years
Oct 8, 2007
Northwestern South Carolina
Besides the obvious--pen each bird separately/

My group of bantam were hatched the last of November 2007. This week I have begun to find 1 egg each day in the coop where they all run together. There are 6 pullets and I have not been able to catch the egg layer on the nest. I do see that the little black Cochin hen's comb and wattle are brilliantly red unlike the other hens. Does this point to her as the egg-er? These are my first hens and I have no idea what to expect.

yes a bright red comb an wattles says she is either laying or getting ready to start laying.

I have read that you can look at the vents also. The one that is laying the egg will have a bigger one. The book had pictures, and it was a notable difference. Wish I could remember which book it was....

when you get close to the birds, ones that are laying typically squat and ones that are not yet laying run. This is how I knew which ones were laying first. Good luck!

Just watch them. It's not that hard to do and once you match the chicken with the egg, you'll be able to tell which egg came from which chicken pretty easily thereafter.
smile.png

Really? I was thinking the same thing this morning, how will I tell when the first eggs come who it came from! My 9 girls are all so different. I would love it if I could tell which egg came from whom!

when you get close to the birds, ones that are laying typically squat and ones that are not yet laying run. This is how I knew which ones were laying first. Good luck!

All five of ours were squatting before four of them were laying...one of them was squatting 2 months before she started laying (little stinker that she is)! So squatting helps determine who is getting ready, but not necessarily who is laying.

Back
Top Bottom