how can i introduce chukars and pheasants to my property

therandomhatcher

Chirping
Apr 2, 2021
I was looking to introduce some birds to my property to reproduce. I want birds like Pheasants and Quail the most. Back when I was a kid, on a small farm in central pa, pheasants were as common as sparrows. I wanted to get pheasants back on my property to reproduce. My grandfather once even told me we had a nice population of bobwhite quail. How can I raise them to survive? I just want to know how I can raise them or any other birds that are resilient enough to survive.

I was looking to introduce some birds to my property to reproduce. I want birds like Pheasants and Quail the most. Back when I was a kid, on a small farm in central pa, pheasants were as common as sparrows. I wanted to get pheasants back on my property to reproduce. My grandfather once even told me we had a nice population of bobwhite quail. How can I raise them to survive? I just want to know how I can raise them or any other birds that are resilient enough to survive.
First check with the G&F and learn the requirements for releasing game birds on your property. It is likely that a G&F release permit will be required.

After checking and receiving necessary permits (usually requiring inspection by conservation officer) you will probably want to hatch your own and raise for release. (especially bobwhite as chicks don’t transport well). Pheasant and chukar chicks can be purchased sometimes from your local feed store and/or ordered from several commercial hatcheries (ie purely poultry, Hoover, and cackle). Game birds are typically brooded best with red lighting and you will want a flight pen for raising to release. You will also want to make sure that you have proper habitat and cover for them on your property. You may also want to evaluate possible predators in your area when planning habitat and cover.
I believe pheasant is typically released at 4-6 months and bobwhites around 6 months. Chukars are not native to your area so you will want to do additional research before choosing to raise and release them.

Back
Top Bottom