How can I keep my chickens warmer during winter and cooler during summer?

You can add your location to your profile, and it will show up in the sidebar to the left.

If you can keep your coop DRY, ie, low humidity, in the winter, chickens can keep themselves warm with their down jackets. Good ventilation is as important in the winter as the summer. I don't plan to heat my coop at all. That said, some people use supplemental heat sources that are safer than heat lamps, but I don't know what they are.

There are waterers that sit on a heated base. I'm thinking about getting one, but that would require electricity in the run/coop, which I don't have (yet). Other people take warm water out to the chickens several times a day. I may be in that camp too, without electricity. There are a lot of threads about this, so you can see what people have liked/disliked and get some names of different waterers to see what might best suit your needs.

Shade and water will help with keeping them cool in the summer. We had a hot summer this year. I took cold water and cool treats (watermelon, they loved it!) to my chickens. They scratched around in the dirt and hunkered down in the shade a lot. There were a lot of postings about fans in the coop, and how to keep them from overheating, due to all the dust.

Another consideration is the breed of bird. Some handle heat or cold better.

How can I keep my chickens warmer during winter and cooler during summer without any fire hazards?

Summer: shade, shade, and more shade. (No fire hazards there.)
Ventilation. Don't lock them into a hot coop!
Water to drink, and maybe to stand in.
Dirt to dustbathe in, and make sure it's in the shade.

Winter: block wind but allow good ventilation so it doesn't get stinky or humid inside, and their feathers can take care of the rest. Carry fresh water when they wake in the morning, shortly before they sleep at night, and if possible in the middle of the day. Be sure they do not run out of food.

Either season: try mixing water into some of their usual chicken food. Thirsty chickens won't eat as much dry food, and that happens in winter (water freezes) and in summer (they are too hot)--so wet food is good at both times. Serve it cold in summer, warm in winter, never hot, because you don't want to burn their mouths. Only give an amount they will eat up quickly, because in winter it might freeze and in summer it might spoil.

Back
Top Bottom