how can i keep predators away from my free range chickens

wesleyayers

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
I have not let my chickens out yet because im not to shur when it comes to predators (ANY SUGESTIONS)

Depends on where your at and what animals you have around. If you truly free range birds you have to realize there is a risk of losing some. I feel like free ranging birds is better than being penned up for life(depending on breed). During the day foxes and hawks are a concern.

Chickens are low man on the predator totem pole, so if you do not take precautions, you will lose birds. What predators do you have? Each one can be countered by one or more defenses. Common protections include wire fences, electric fences, livestock guardian dogs etc. You probably should have a fence around your property border, both to keep your chickens in and other animals out. If that is not an option, or you don't want fencing, plan for some losses. I tried free ranging, but could not handle the losses - 3-4 birds a month. So I set up a large chicken yard with electric net fence. It's big enough that the chickens can't strip mine the vegetation (I have to mow it every 1-2 weeks), so I get to enjoy the chickens as they forage in the yard, but they are not an easy meal for predators. Good luck!

We have our entire yard fenced so nothing can get in, except the neighbors Doberman who jumps right over. For him we call the pound and if we complain one more time they will fine the owners and possibly confiscate the dog. if I ever catch him near my chicks it's my legal right to shoot him, but the fence has been absolutely successful against all other dogs so far. We paid the extra money to make sure we got a fencing type that keeps even small dogs out. Our chihuahuas can't even get through, and we were careful with gaps between the gate and posts. The chickens should not be able to fly over it or perch on it. We were careful to make sure there were not diagonal planks at the top of the fence for them to perch on. The neighbors barn cat we let be because she is around chickens elsewhere. Otherwise we would trap them and take them to the pound(honey buns work best for trapping cats, skunks, etc) and any other small animal(possums, raccoons, etc) would get the same if they became a problem. We lock our birds up at night in a raised coop so nothing can dig into it.
Besides dogs, hawks have been out biggest problem. Roof your coop with a reflective metal, hang reflective objects/etc to confuse hawks and impair their vision. Tie twine with ribbon ties across the top of the chicken run to keep hawks out or have a covered run. Avoid white poultry breeds as they are easier for hawks to spot. Keep injured, etc birds in a covered area until better. Predators will often pick them off first.
My chicks get full access to a covered yard and supervised runs in a larger yard. I won't let them completely free range the whole yard(fenced to keep dogs out and chicks in) until they are big. Still, I will probably lose several to predators once they have complete freedom of the yard. I can't protect them completely unfortunately.

Between my dogs and llamas roaming the pastures I have not spotted a ground predator inside the fenced area year, hawks are always above though...

My plan in the next year or two is to fully flight net one entire pasture to prevent hawk attacks, not exactly cheap but not exactly all that expensive either in the long run as it will serve dual purpose of keeping the birds in the pasture (I have guineafowl and peafowl that fly well in additional to the mostly grounded chickens) and keeping hawks out...

Get a few guinea hens and let them run all around. Eventually the predators will take them and hopefully leave your chickens alone.

Back
Top Bottom