How can I make my hen broody?

How can I make my hen broody

• I don't know

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Try to put fake eggs

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
They are talking about a real egg carton. You put the eggs in but you don’t flip them, you just prop one side of the carton up and switch sides a couple times a day. Reread the above posts for more details.

I have the answer, “how to make a hen go broody?”. Bring her to my coop! Apparently there is something about it that makes everybody want chicks.
We’ve hatched out 39 chicks since February. 2 hens that had just hatched out in March, just hatched out 4 more this weekend. They had barely weaned their first group when they went broody again!
Last week we had 6 hens all broody at once. 6 of 6 eggs under 3 of the hens, hatched this weekend, 2 more due later this week, and 2 due the next week. One of the hens is so mean that we don’t even know if she has eggs under her or not. She may just be joining the sit-in.
Now most of my flock is under 4 months old. The only bright spot is that we should have plenty of eggs for holiday baking by thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have tried to encourage a hen to go broody using fake eggs. Simply add a fake egg to the nest each day (maybe 2 if several hens use the same nest) Sometimes it works,, else its time to heat up the bator. And I get a better hatch rate and survival rate than the hens do,,,,

Back
Top Bottom