How can I Make My hen go Broody?

In reality...one can't make a hen go broody. It is by instinct only and while some might think they did something to help, it's really that's not the case.

Best to go with known breeds that go broody often or sometimes...in my opinion.

bigz

I am dying for some babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know how to Make your hen go broody I haev done a couple hatches but the hens have just gone broody .....

Any certain breed you are trying to make go broody? It may help us knowing, because different breeds are more broody than others. Silkies and Cochins tend to be very broody, while some breeds have all the broodyness breed out of them.

Does anyone know which breed is the best broody breed

I've heard that Silkies and Cochins are very broody. My Silkie is right now trying to hatch some golf balls
lau.gif
. I've never had a Cochin, so I can't tell you from first hand experience how broody they are.

I put some wire around a corner where I previously had a broody hen and a dug a hole, put eggs in the hole, and put the hen in the inclosed area. She sat right on them. However she has been the only broody hen that does right.

I've heard that Silkies and Cochins are very broody. My Silkie is right now trying to hatch some golf balls
lau.gif
. I've never had a Cochin, so I can't tell you from first hand experience how broody they are.

Thank you for the response now one more question has anyone ever bought hatching eggs on line and had good turn out.

Thank you for the response now one more question has anyone ever bought hatching eggs on line and had good turn out.

I've heard that many people get 50% of the eggs hatch - But that is only what I have heard. I've never ordered eggs online, only chicks. Maybe someone who has done it before can tell you what they got.

Maybe a silke or orpington.

I don't know about orpingtions, as I have never had one, but if you wanted you silkie to go broody you could try putting golf balls or false eggs in a nesting box. She might sit on them, then you can exchange your fertile eggs for the golf balls. Try moving her around, and see if she will be dedicated to her nest. I know others have said this, I'm just saying it works for my silkie.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom