How can I minimize/annihilate a rat infestation?

speckled_egg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
There have always been rats on my property, but several months after I got chickens their population has exploded. With careful maneuvering, I can keep them out of the coop - its secure, with all-around wiring and frequent patch jobs - but its getting unrealistic. I feel I'm participating in an awkward human-rat-chicken dance. I've set traps, but the rats are too smart and will either avoid capture or break free. Gassing is not an option as the rats tunnels open to the exposed wiring of the coop and I live in an urban area. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lower/terminate the rat population? I'm already being careful about keeping food out of their reach. I do have dogs, but they have no interest in rats, and I can't keep cats. Should I just do more of the same?

I made boxes that had holes just big enough for the rat but where dogs and such couldn't get to it & used that "chunck poison bait." I also put the poison up in my attic where no pets or anything go. The bait all got gone quickly and later, I found two dead rats in my basement.

I still keep the poison bait in my attic but a stray TomCat took up that I started feeding and he is good ratter-- it seems to be his prey of choice so have seen no signs of anymore rats.

Poison bricks for me too. I dont have any trouble with rats anymore.
smile.png

I don't know if this will help for rats but it does help for mice so it might be worth a try - I went to Lowes and bought a piece of pvc pipe and some of the rodent glue boards (they are very thin and flexible) cut the pvc pipe so that two boards would fit inside with a little space in between for the food then roll the glue boards and slide them all the way into the pvc pipe and place where you know that there is rat activity. I catch two or three mice on each board every time I set it. Good luck in finding a successfull way!

I have never had rats in the coop, but we do get mice. When I see one I just put one or two of the barn cats in there all night. The females are particularly good at rodent control.

If you don't want to use poisons, get a pack of "big league chew' and roll up about 10 (depending On how many rats you have) in about a dime size ball. Coat them with peanut butter and drop them down in the tunnels. Once the rats get ahold of them, they can't spit them out! The peanut butter is an attractant, but the gum sticks to all sides of their mouths so they have no other option but to chew. It'll either break their jaws or keep them from eating and they'll die from starvation. It sound cruel but its another option beside poisons, especially if you have small children and free roaming pets. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom