How can I save my chickens from skunks?

Victoriakally

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2018
Skunks are becoming a nuisance in my locality. Yesterday, my two chickens were killed by skunks. One month before, there was a similar attack and I lost three of my chickens. We had arranged secure coops. But still, these nuisance happens. Yesterday, I forgot to lock the coop's door properly and I lost my little chickens. Skunks are becoming a real nuisance in our locality. It not only kills our chicken, it damages our yard, garden and tears lawns.
At first, I was not aware of skunk attack. My neighbour had a similar experience and we planned to fix cameras. Then only we realized that skunks were the culprits. It was a very difficult situation to see skunks killing my chickens.
My husband told me that there are live animal trapping services in Hamilton. So, I can see the face of the cruel skunks who attacked my chickens. Are you familiar with these services? They were just two months old. When I looked inside the coops, I found that my chickens are killed by skunks. I need a fast reply. If I don't find a proper solution I will lose my other chickens.

Are you positive that it was skunks that killed your chickens. I have skunks around my home and they never bothered any of my chickens over 20 years. They only dig up grubs in my lawn. I'm not against them doing it.
WISHING YOU BEST and ,,, :welcome
0918141530-01.jpg

If you've actually seen the skunks, on camera, killing younger chickens, as normally they are egg eaters, then yes, pest control services can be very helpful when there is more than just one lone predator. (For the lone predator, a live trap set out is a much cheaper fix the owner can do by themselves).

But if you have a large population of skunks, then I'd go with a recommended, reputable service.

LofMc

BYC article on skunks as predators of chickens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-protect-your-chickens-from-skunks.47722/

Skunks get into the chickens around here all the time in Oklahoma, their calling card is normally just the eggs but they really like to eat the crops out of the hens too if they are hungry. Live traps are extremely messy to remove a skunk, unless a short solid plastic box is used to keep the tail from raising and being sprayed.

Yeah...the trapping is the easy part...its the removing that can get tricky.

Personally, I'd call pest control for skunks (coons, I can get).

LofMc

If skunks are getting to your chickens you have a major problem with coop security. Raccoons, possums, dogs, cats, rats, etc. will also be an issue.

Make sure you are using hardware cloth (16 gauge 1/2" is preferred for small-medium predators - you would need additional reinforcement for larger predators) and not chicken wire to cover any openings more than 1/2" wide. You also need to make sure that predators cannot dig in. There are multiple methods to insure this - a wire skirt, pavers, hardware cloth floor, etc.

If you are having trouble consistently closing/securing your chicken door, look into an auto door. There are a ton of models out there. You don't need power to your coop for them either - most models have a solar and/or battery option.

Skunks are really active in late winter/early spring as it is their mating season. Their activity will die down in a little while.

Make sure your coop and run are secure, and keep your bird in for a while. Then, trap and shoot!
Walking forward to the trap with a tarp or old blanket in front of you, and then draping it over the trap, keeps you unsprayed. Then, take it away from buildings and carefully remove a corner of the tarp, to get a clean shot, and bury it there. Wear gloves! Or, wrap it.
If Animal Control will help, that's great. Or a pest control company, for $$$.
Also, don't have food or water of any sort outside your safe coop and run. Any food will attract critters you don't want in your yard!
Getting saliva from a skunk on your hands, with any tiny wound, isn't good. Wear gloves! This includes handling your dead birds out there! Rabies is a very real risk.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom