How can I sex my Polish/Polland Chickens?!

gdanes24

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
I have two Polish chickens and they both look to be roosters, but today I noticed the smaller one clucking like a hen and going into the nesting box and sitting. So now I'm wondering if I have a pair. The one that I am 100% of being a rooster has these red devil horn looking things sticking up on each side of his beak. His tail feathers are two rows and are open in the center (from the back) and come up to a point at the top. The one I suspect to be a hen has two rows of feathers that are in a row together, not open. This one also is a blue or lavender color while the bigger one is various colors with prettier markings and splashes of color on his body.
Is there any 100% sure way to tell which is which? I can get some photos of them, but I'd need to know exactly what to photograph of them. Thanks! -Rachel

I've heard sometimes its easier to sex polish chickens when they're younger so I added these photos of them at a few months old, but if you want current pictures, just let me know!

Yep, we'll need photos - one good straight side on shot of each of them standing naturally, one straight on head shot showing the comb and crest from the front, and probably one of the back looking down on the bird.

In these pictures they were around 3-4 months of age. Now they are about 13 or 14 months. I have a more recent photo of the one I suspect to be a rooster, but I'll have to get a better photo of the other one tomorrow in the sunlight. Thanks!

In these pictures they were around 3-4 months of age. Now they are about 13 or 14 months. I have a more recent photo of the one I suspect to be a rooster, but I'll have to get a better photo of the other one tomorrow in the sunlight. Thanks!

This one is definitley a roo. The size of the comb, the swept back crest, deep splotchy red over the shoulders/wing bows/back, and shiny pointy saddle feathers all tell the story.

Thank you! I will get good pics of both tomorrow and see if I have two roosters or a pair. :)

Back
Top Bottom